Chapter 1 - Moving Day

11-17B, 11-17B, 11-17B, I thought to myself as I walked down the unfamiliar hallway. I could hear the screeching of males as I approached the open door of Dorm 11-17B. Something was off here. I slowly crossed the threshold into the room and the five boys in there instantly fell silent.

"Hi, sorry to bother you. My ticket says I should be in this dorm, but this is a boy's dorm."

"So we've noticed. And you are not a boy," one guy said. He had a long face and his hair appeared to be two different colors. "I'm Jean, by the way. Can I see your ticket?" I nodded and handed it to him. "Yeah, you're going to have to take this down to the main office to clear things up. B is for the boys' dorms, G is for the girls. You're probably in 11-17G."

"Okay, thank you!" I said, turning around to leave. I almost immediately crashed into a very buff, very bare chest as a blonde behemoth stepped out of the boys' bathroom and into their dorm in nothing but a towel. "You have no clothes!" I shouted in surprise, quickly crossing my arms over my face and squeezing my eyes shut.

My embarrassment was met with a hearty laugh from the boy. "I would have dressed had I known we had company," he joked in response. "Are you going to open your eyes?"

"Not likely."

"And I though Armin was a prude," the deep voice of Semi-Naked Guy replied, eliciting a cry of protest from this Armin kid.

"Reiner, she's clearly uncomfortable. Just go back to the bathroom for a minute so she can leave in peace," a new voice chimed in. Reiner huffed but I heard his shower shoes retreating into the distance. "You're safe now, you can open your eyes." The voice was next to me now. I opened my eyes and turned to see a freckle-faced boy smiling kindly at me. "Do you know where the main office is?" I shook my head. "I'll show you. I'm Marco, by the way."

"Nice to meet you. I'm (Y/N)." We started to head out and I waved goodbye to the others in the dorm. "See you guys around!" They each discordantly responded in kind. The walk to the office was quiet and awkward. Marco was nice enough, but I was a ball of nerves and stress and couldn't think of anything to say.

The secretary was very nice and fixed the mistake quickly. Jean had been right; I was supposed to be in 11-17G. "I'm terribly sorry for any depravity you may have witnessed in the boys' dorms. They tend to be wild the first day back," the secretary said, only seeming to be half-joking. I laughed lightly.

"No worries, they seemed like a perfectly nice and civilized bunch."

"Hm. We'll see how long that lasts," she scoffed quietly.

When I left her office, I was surprised to find Marco waiting outside for me. Upon my surprised look, he said, "I thought you might need help finding the girls' wing." Ah. Smart. I hadn't thought that far in advance yet.

"Good thinking! Thanks, Marco, you're a lifesaver." We got about halfway down the hall, still shrouded in awkward silence when I remembered my resolution to be more friendly and talkative this year. Time to test it out. "So how long have you been going here?"

"This is my third year, been here since I was a freshman."

"What do you think of it?"

"It's hard work, but the people are fun. They can be a lot to handle at first, though. They're more than worth it in the end, trust me on that one. Well, these are the eleventh grade dorms. I'll see you around, and if you need anything, just let me know!" I smiled and nodded.

"Thanks so much, Marco! See you!" He turned to leave but suddenly froze, looking as though a light bulb should have gone off above his head as his face lit up.

"If you're interested in making friends here, a great way to do that would be to come to the soccer matches. The first game is this Saturday. We take our sports very seriously here, though, so be careful." My grin widened.

"I'll see you there."

"Perfect!" With that, he jogged off to continue unpacking, and I turned to face my dorm room. Hopefully at least one of my new roommates would be as friendly as Marco had been.