A Promise is a Promise (Chapter 1) (Black Butler Fanfiction) Promise

It was a party, and as usual, Earl Ciel Phantomhive was not having fun. He preferred to stay safely out of the way at social events like these. Dancing was not his thing, despite his butler's exasperated efforts to rid him of his two left feet.

However, he WAS the host of the party, and a host cannot ignore his guests.

Sighing, he put down his glass of wine and prepared to enter the fray, but was intercepted by a beaming, giggling (and very tipsy) Alois Trancy."Cielll~" he slurred, flinging his arms round Ciel's neck. Ciel, caught off gaurd, staggered and almost fell over.

"What the- oh, it's you..."

He took one look at Alois' face, then at the empty glasses on a nearby table.

"Just how many of those have you had?" He enquired disapprovingly. Alois just licked his ear. Pushing the intoxicated earl off of him, Ciel turned to leave.

"I have nothing to say to you when you're this drunk."

He was interrupted again by a giggling Alois grabbing him round the middle and singing out "I've got Ciel!" before swaying slightly, losing his balance and pulling them both into an undignified heap of sprawling arms and legs on the floor.

Watching from a nearby doorway, Sebastian Michaelis chuckled to himself. Turning to Claude Faustus, who had materialized silently out of the shadows beside him, he commented:

"It appears my master is having a little trouble over there... shouldn't you go and see to your master, before he makes a complete and utter fool of himself?"

Claude just smlied, a rare thing indeed to see on the face of such a stony-faced butler, and adjusted his glasses.

"I am sure he will be all right."

Collecting his limbs and straightening his necktie, Ciel sat up, red in the face with embarrasment.

"Now look what you've done!" he berated Alois, struggling not to lose his temper as he usually did quickly around the Trancy boy. He made to stand up, but stopped when he felt the presence of two hands on his ribcage. Turning his head, his expression changed to surprise, quickly followed by horror.

Alois' face was the picture of grief. With big fat tears running down his flushed cheeks from his bright blue eyes, and his slighly dishevelled blonde hair, he looked utterly miserable.

Taken aback by the complete transformation, Ciel looked around and then gulped. The chilly stares of everyone around him seemed to say "You made him cry." Still heavily intoxicated, Alois looked up at him, tightened his grip on Ciel's waistcoat and said mournfully,

"Don't leave me alone...I'll be -be lonely if you leave me by myself."

Still observing from the doorway, Claude's expression changed from amusement to horror, while Sebastian's merely registered surprise. The Trancy butler moved to assist his master, but Sebastian raised an arm to stop him.

"Let's see how Young Master handles this," He said smoothly. Claude didn't move, but he gripped Sebastian's wrist so hard it would have crushed a human's bones.

Feeling accused, Ciel sighed, then awkwardly pulled Alois into a stiff embrace. His head against Ciel's chest, Alois could only sniff in surprise.

"Look, I'm not going to leave you alone, okay? I'll stay with you." Ciel siad, then after a pause,

"I promise."

Alois looked suprised a moment longer, then beamed. A couple of nearby ladies ahh'd as Ciel lifted the boy's arm over his shoulder, and stood up, muttering.

"Good grief, you can't even walk straight..."

Halfway up the stairs, Ciel turned to his guests.

"Please excuse us ladies and gentlemen, Earl Trancy and I will be retiring to our beds now. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening's entertainment."

This was greeted with a smattering of applause, and some murmuring.

Struggling with the slightly older boy's weight, Ciel grumbled to himself:

"And where is that damn butler of his..."