day 4 | the third letter

richie instantly had a wide smile on his face as a folded paper fell out of his locker when he opened it. he put it in his backpack, still smiling as he made eye contact with beverly when she walked up next to him.

she raised an eyebrow, her eyes shifting to richie's backpack curiously. "what was that?"

richie looked at her, still smiling, "another note." beverly's face softened, "he's really committed, isn't he." she said the sentence as a statement, but froze in the middle of running her hand through her hair, realizing what she said.

"he?"

"uh- he, she, them, whatever. just guessing." beverly coughed awkwardly, relieved as she saw stan walk in. "well, i gotta go ask stan about something, bye richie." 

richie felt annoyance bubbling up in him as beverly walked away. what if she really did know who was writing them? why wouldn't she tell him?

"hey, rich." his smile instantly reappeared as he heard eddie's voice, he then turned around and slung an arm around the shorter boy. "eds, my love!" eddie rolled his eyes, but laughed.

"did you get the requirements?"

"no, i think i accidentally trashed it." eddie, once again, rolled his eyes, making richie chuckle. "it's fine, i got a copy."

"why'd you even ask me then, spaghetti?"

"i was just wondering." eddie quickly looked at richie's backpack, then back at richie. they stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds, eddie being the one to break the eye contact.

"so, i have a question for ya, eds." richie leaned against his locker, smiling at eddie's confused face. "do you maybe have any idea who could be writing those notes?" eddie's eyes widened, but he instantly tried to look casual. "no, i don't think so. anyone you might know?" they stared at each other again, except this time richie's eyes moved up and down eddie's face. 

"no."

.

bill's eyes followed eddie as he walked into the cafeteria, turning to sit at richie's table. he didn't really mean to call eddie's name and wave him over, but he was glad he did. 

eddie hesitantly looked back at bill, and he noticed the others didn't see him come in, so he walked over to bill's table.

"hey bill." eddie smiled nervously, turning to greet ben. "eh-eddie. glad th-that yuh-you're finally juh-joining us."

"it was one day, bill. we're partners."

"but you still like him." bill's forced smile showed frustration, and eddie was even more nervous now since he said the previous statement without stuttering.

about twenty minutes passed and richie couldn't stop staring at them from across the room, causing stan to slap his arm.

"fuck- what?" richie slapped him back, stan shoving his hand away. "stop looking, it's weird."

"he's obviously uncomfortable."