A Day at the Beach

Someone was knocking on her bedroom door.

Emily moved the pillow off her head and rolled over to look at her phone. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes as the blurriness took a minute to clear. After a few more blinks her mind registered that it was now nearly ten in the morning.

Kelly's voice called through her door, "Emily? Are you awake?"

"I am now." She yawned.

He continued to talk through her door, "I took the day off so we could... so I could... I mean... Do you want to go to the beach? John, Sam and I are going."

I do love the beach...

"Yes. Just give me a minute to shower."

She heard him laugh. "You don't need to shower to go to the beach."

I need to wash off Evan's scent that is clinging to me like a potent perfume...

"I want to shave," she said.

"I'll get a chair for you. Make it quick," Kelly ordered.

They were set up on the beach before noon.

"C'mon Em!" Sam called out laughing as John chased her down to the water's edge.

Emily yelled back, "I need to put on my sunblock."

Kelly sat down in his chair. "I'll wait for you."

He stared at her as she took off her shorts and tank top to reveal her pink string bikini. He pulled on his sunglasses as she started to spread the lotion across her arms. He continued to ignore the horizon of crashing waves and sailboats and gazed silently at her from behind his dark lenses.

It's a beautifully sunny day but the heat I feel is not from the sky... Nor in areas where the sun reaches...

"The view is that way." Emily pointed toward the coastline.

"Not for me," Kelly said.

She shook her head.

If he wants to watch, then I'll make it worthwhile...

First, she bent down to slowly coat one leg from ankle to hip and Kelly cleared his throat. She looked up at him from beneath her lashes, but he didn't smile or move a muscle.

Not enough yet... On to the other side...

Emily turned her back to him to pick up the sunblock off her chair and get another handful of lotion. When she dipped down from her waist to coat her second leg, from behind her backside he cleared his throat again. She swiveled her head toward him and smiled innocently. Off came Kelly's sunglasses, but he didn't smile back.

Better safe than sorry...

Next, she painted the white cream across her stomach and he sat forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his knees.

Protect now or pain later...

Finally she squeezed some block on her breastbone and slid it around her cleavage, making sure to get it under the edges of her triangle top. Kelly licked his lips.

Almost done... At least what I can manage on my own...

Emily held out the bottle to him in invitation. "I could use some help with my back."

"Come here," he summoned in that tone she loved.

She walked over, handed him the block and presented her back. Suddenly he pulled her down onto his lap.