Chapter 6 - Broken Soul

Chapter 6

I can't live. I don't know how. I wasn't dying, but it felt like I was. He used me, he never cared for me. He was no friend, I lost my strength, I lost everything that night, it was like a living nightmare. Nobody could save me. If I were married this probably wouldn't have happened.

Screams.

Tears.

Why are women used like this?

As I open my eyes my vision is blurry, all I roughly see is my bedroom roof.

I'm at the castle? I thought. How? Was this a nightmare?

"She's waking up!" Exclaims my mum.

"Merida, Merida..." My brothers call out.

"M-mum?" I ask.

My mum sits on my bed next to me and grabs my hand softly. As I see more clearly progressively, she's tearing up, so probably it was no nightmare.

"Yes, yes my love it's me." Says my mum.

I hug my mum tightly and we both cry. —"It was no nightmare?! Why mum? If I were married nothing like this would've happened!" I scream.

"No, love it will be alright and being married or not has nothing to do with it. It's just a–" She looks at me firmly. I finally say. —"Mum, I want to get married, at least I won't be so alone."

"Merida, but you've never wanted to get married, why'd–" I cut Hibert off. —"I've always wanted to get married one day, but not an arranged marriage. I guess there's now a reason for that so I wish to get married."

"Meri–" Hamish tried to speak. —"I apologize Hamish, but I know you and I know what you're going to say, guys there's no way you're convincing me out of this. I want to get married."

My mum stomps up loudly enough for us to pay attention towards her. —"You're not getting married just because this happened Merida, I would never hurt you in that way, I'm your mother and I know what's good for you now. Do you understand my dear?"

"Mum, I can't understand." I say.

"You should, I know you shouldn't have been so out there in the first place, but your father insisted, so I did let you out and now you're Queen and you still disobey me, you went out less, but you had to be more cautious!" Screams my mum.

"Mother, don't get dad into this, I love you guys, but I did this by myself and you're right on that one mum, I was stupid and got into trouble and–" I get up my bed, I have a light blue dress on, I rapidly get my shoes and bow, a sword if necessary. —"But I'll finish this myself."

I lock my bedroom door behind me and run as fast as I can.

"Merida!" I hear them scream.

I'm not coming back yet.

* * *

I don't know where I'm going. I just wanted to leave. Angus seems a little down as well, but he keeps his usual pace. I made sure to take some food for me just in case I don't come back in a long time. This is, horrible may I say, because I'm not happy, I'm destroyed and terrified, but I needed to go, I had to leave so I did. I just wish I would have never left.

The sky is bright and clear today, the woods look clear and green. Birds are chirping and the river waters are roaring. It's a beautiful day. At least that gives me comfort. I'm heading east, I'll go find the clans and search for suitors. Then I'll make sure Elton receives his punishment and that every other person in DunBroch stays safe.

A/N:

Two short chapters today, I'm feeling inspired so I'll definitely keep writing more. Hope you liked it and please vote and comment to know you support me and this book. Again did you like that twist? I felt that talking about these issues are important because they seem to happen so frequently now and I want everybody to know that maybe that person next to you is silently suffering and I'm not talking about being raped, I'm talking about depression, severe OCD, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts etc. These are common and shouldn't be common. Coping alone with these is a true nightmare. I'm here to create awareness and please help your neighbors.

-Li/리/Natalia J.