Chapter 19

Zeb had needed someone to attend and important business dinner with him, and Lucy had agreed before she had thought about the consequences. All she could think about was that she wanted to spend more time with Zeb, and that he had offered her the chance to do that, and that is why she now stood in front of a full-length mirror at Zeb's New Orleans row house admiring another lovely dress picked out by Summer.

This one was variegated colors ranging from a pale blue to a deep purple, and it floated around her like a cloud. It was tea length and once again sleeves with a wrap made of the same material. The shoes were ballet flats, so she wouldn't have to worry about keeping her balance all night.

"I think you missed your calling Summer." Lucy turned to look at the woman behind her who was clearing up the mess she had made.

"You're fun to pick out clothes for because of your unique coloring, I've never seen anything like it," she said letting her eyes wander over her hair and eyes. She had cut her hair for her and applied her mark-up artfully once again.

Lucy sensed that there was something wrong with Summer, she didn't seem as carefree as she had the last time they had met. "Is something wrong Summer?" she asked turning to look at the woman as she sat heavily on the bed behind her.

Zeb had given them the spare room to use. The row house was beautiful but small. Zeb had told her that it was only a temporary home, he had bought the entire row of houses to restore and then sell, and he could sell a lived-in house easier than a vacant one.

Summer remained silent behind her and Lucy moved to join her on the bed. "Do you want to talk about it?" When she saw Summer look at her searchingly she smiled reassuringly. "I promise, I'll not repeat a word."

Summer closed her eyes and sighed. "It's really not all that big of a deal but it feels like it is one." She stood up and started to pace.

"Sometimes not being able to share something can make it a bigger deal than it really is," Lucy said softly.

"I've been dating a man for about six months, and it's been going good. Now he has a job offer in another city and he wants me to come with him, but I'm not sure that I should." Summer sat next to her on the bed once more. "He's always been jealous of Zebadiah, he thinks that there was or is something going on between us." She shrugged. "I have told him that there is not nor has there ever been anything remotely romantic between me and Zebadiah, but he doesn't believe me." Summer had told her the same thing when they had last time but she was glad that she had stated it more clearly.

"New relationships often make people a little insecure, there has to be time to be sure of the love that someone claims to feel for you." Lucy said, giving the man the benefit of the doubt.

"Sure, and I thought about that, but I love my life here, and it would be giving up an awful lot for someone who can't believe me when I tell them the truth." Summer shook her head as she said the words.

"That sounds like you've made up you mind," Lucy said with a smile.

Summer took a deep cleansing breath. "It does, doesn't it?"

She grinned in relief and Lucy reached over to pat her hand, her stomach bottoming out as she touched her. She could see red all around Summer, her beautiful hair in a pool of it, Lucy broke into a cold sweat and her eyes dilated while she looked through Summer as the vision refused to leave her.

"Lucy!" Summer shook her shoulder to get her attention, but Lucy didn't feel it, and when Summer tried to pull her hand away Lucy tightened her grip as if to keep her next to her and safe. "Lucy!" she shouted once more as she tried to free herself. "Zebadiah!" she called when her second attempt didn't work.