Chapter 2

[Lars' POV]

I couldn't explain it. This was the first time I had seen the sky change to red. Usually, it just slips from bright blue to purple to navy to black. Then in the morning, it reverses order until it reaches bright blue. 

I immediately looked at Carrie. Her eyes were wide with fear. I stepped toward her, but Xander reached her first and wrapped her in a hug. She clutched onto him. My heart sank. That should be me. I mentally cursed myself for wimping out and not telling her how I felt at Marty's.

I had it all planned out. I would text her asking her to meet me at Harnon Landing. Then I would tell her everything. I would tell her she was my everything.It would be perfect. Unless she didn't feel the same way about me. I planned on crossing that bridge when we reached it. Of course, I didn't count on Xander stepping in and ruining it.

I shook the thoughts out of my head. We needed to focus. We reached the park. Carrie and Lauren ran for the swings. Noah sighed wistfully.

"Dude. Just tell her." Xander said. Noah gave us a miserable look.

"I don't deserve her. She's way out of my league." I frowned.

"Not really. C'mon man we've all been friends for, like, 8 years." He sighed again. I reached down and picked up a dandelion. "Just give her this." I said. He looked doubtful. "Girls love flowers."

He gulped.

"Here. I'll call Carrie over here and then you can go and give it to her." Just to prove my point, I cupped my hands around my mouth.

"He-"

"Hey, Carrie!" Xander shouted over me. I crossed my arms. He was seriously getting on my nerves, which was weird because he, Noah, and I had been best friends forever.

"What?" she yelled back.

"I have something to show you." I smirked and shoved Noah toward the swings.

"Good luck, dude." I said. Carrie jogged over to Xander.

"What?" He smirked at her.

"You wanna go out with me?" She looked slightly taken aback. Then she glanced at me, with a confused expression, like What's going on?, which surprised me. I don't know what demon from hell possessed me, but I nodded at her. Her eyes downcast, she turned back.

"Okay. Sure. I'll go out with you." She replied quietly. I felt rage flowing through me. What the hell was going on? Xander and I had always been close. Heck, we'd been brothers. Well, as close as brothers, since having more than one kid was against the law of the government. Xander looked pleased.

"Tomorrow night, then?" He said. I could practically see his ego swelling with pride. Then we heard a shriek that was abruptly cut off. Two Officials were standing over the limp bodies of Noah and Lauren. Carrie screamed. Xander stepped in front of her. Three more Officials appeared. They seemed to press behind Noah's and Lauren's ears.

Then the strangest thing I had seen yet including the red sky and Carrie looking to me for permission happened. Their bodies became a grid of neon green lines and then they seemed to be sucked into little thumb drives, which the Officials pocketed. Carrie gasped. I turned only to see her and Xander crumple to the ground.

I felt a sudden sting in my arm. I looked down and tried to focus on the dart that was sticking out of it and swimming in and out of view. 

_________________________________________________________________________

I woke up in a bright white room. I blinked blearily and sat up. So far, so good. I stood, then stumbled, my head light. I looked around. Noah and Xander were already awake.