Chapter Three

Chapter 3

Bambi's POV

Dumbo and I rapidly cleaned the delicious mess we made and dashed into my small bedroom. The walls were painted baby blue and had white clouds painted all over it. In the upper right corner was a collection of leaves and moss that I sleep in. In the upper left is where I keep all my toys in a small, laundry bin. It's overflowing with race cars, stuffed animals, comic books, and action figures. The lower left corner is an overstuffed pink chair, next to a small table with a kerosine lamp. I like to lay there and read Mickey Mouse comics when I can't sleep sometimes. In the lower right corner is my bookshelf, full of textbooks I need for the upcoming school year, (I'm going into second grade!) and some novels about some guy named Tom Sawyer, and lots of stories by Hans Christian Anderson. I hardly touched my old, splintery bookshelf since May, since it was the middle of August and I'd much rather be playing hide n' seek with Thumper and Dumbo then read! Scattered across the middle of my bedroom floor are pillows and blankets, that I keep there in case I get cold or one of my friends sleep over. When Dumbo and I first looked at my room, we dashed to my toy bin and dumped out the contents. Sitting on top of the pile was an action figure of Merlin, Wart, and Archimedes, my favorite characters from the movie "Sword in the Stone", who happened to live down the hall.

"Ooh!" Dumbo quietly exclaimed. "I wanna play as Merlin!"

I looked at Dumbo sternly, and replied, "Noo! I wanna be Merlin!"

"No, me!"

"No, me!"

"No, me!"

At this point, Dumbo was holding Merlin's left plastic arm in his small trunk, and I had the other arm tightly between my teeth. We were tugging the tiny man back and forth when suddenly, we heard a "SNAP!" Both of Merlin's arm popped off. We both grabbed one arm in our hoofs and looked at them solemnly. Suddenly, Dumbo burst out laughing. I soon joined him, and I exclaimed,

"We fought so much, we broke him!" We smiled at each other and shook hooves to show we were still best friends, and I ran to the couch outside my room. I dug through the cushions and found a tape dispenser. We used it to tape Merlin's arms back on.

"Good as new!" Dumbo exclaimed as we put the last piece of tape on the little plastic man. Merlin's arms were both covered in clear tape, almost like a cast. We both giggled, put Archimedes on his shoulder, and put him on my dusty old bookshelf.

"What else can we do...." I mumbled to myself as I rummaged through the toys. Before I could pick anything out, I heard the doorknob to our apartment turn. My father was home! He can't know we were up this late! Dumbo was apparently thinking the same thing, because we both looked at each other for a split second and ran to our sleeping places and closed our eyes tightly. Dumbo was wrapped tightly in a blue, cotton blanket and I was buried under dead leaves and sticks, with my fur against my fuzzy gray carpet. Then my daddy peeked his head through the door, turned off my kerosene lamp with his nose, and left. Dumbo and I then opened our eyes and shared a smile. Then we were soon in a peaceful slumber.