1- In the Hall

His Red Converse

High school halls are a scary place. Sometimes as I walk through the halls to my next class I'm reminded of shows I've seen on Animal Planet.

Huge, heavy gorillas brawl for dominance in the middle of the main hallway. Skittish lemurs swiftly scurry around groups of people avoiding everyone at all costs. Lions slam thier lionesses against the lockers and slobber all over them to make sure everybody knows she is his.

It's quite fun to watch most times. Those times being when you are able to easily maneuver through clusters of smelly, hormonal animals- I mean teenagers. When you aren't so lucky, then things get a little... chaotic.

Take today for example. I wasn't having a swell day to start off with. I had woken up late, burnt my toast, managed to dribble toothpaste down my clothes, and forgot all about the chemistry test today. FML

It was right after lunch when the halls are the craziest and our town hasn’t seen a spec of sunlight for two weeks now, so everyone was unusually jittery. The key to not getting caught in unwanted business is to look straight ahead and just push your way through. That’s what I normally do anyways, but today wasn’t normal.

No, I forgot about the math homework and was busily trying to make up answers for equations that were beyond my brain functioning, at least at the moment. I was just about to look up and make sure I wouldn’t run into anyone when an elbow came raining down from the sky.

The meaty elbow slammed down on my binder and ripped it out my hands. Not only was my binder and its contents sprawled all over the floor getting trampled on by grimy shoes, but the force had also made me fall upon the floor. Again FML

The guy whose elbow I really wanted to break at the moment grunted at me and then went to go shove his buddies back. He grunted, just grunted. “Jerk!” I shouted, but nobody heard because the noise level was beyond extreme.

I began to pile all my now dirty papers into my binder messily. It’s the best I could do at the moment. Suddenly, a pair of bright red converse stood in front of a few sheets of papers I was just about to lean over and grab.

The owner of the converse bent down and handed me the sheets. “Are you okay? Do you need some help?” The guy asked in a whisper so eerily low that it felt like he was talking right into my ear.

I grabbed my papers from him and fingered my hair out of the way to get a look at him, but by the time all hair was out of my vision, he was gone. Just like that. I scanned the general area knowing he couldn’t have gotten too far, but all I saw were his bright red converse getting lost into the sea of people.

I sighed not wanting to get too worked up over it. He was just a Good Samaritan helping out a girl in need. Though, I would have at least liked to say a ‘thank you’ to him.

With that I picked myself up and merged back into the flow of the hallway as I easily forgot about the boy and fixated my attention on my math homework once again.