Chapter 2

*Kellin's POV*

I pulled into the bumpy gravel driveway of my friend Gabe's house, my scowl having permanently carved itself into my face. I pulled to a stp, inches from his car's rear bumper, and jumped out, silence filling around me as with a turn of the key music going silent and the rumble of the car dying. I locked the doors behind me as I beeped the Jeep locked, and jogged to his front door, rapping lightly.

"Gabe!" I called, seeing his TV glowing in the living room from the thin window by the front door, that I was currently peering into. "Gabe come on! Open up!" I pounded on the door harder, still watching as the figure on the screen shoot down some sort of space creatures, and people I assumed were on the opposing team.

Of course he's playing games..  I sighed and shook my head, dark curly hair falling infront of my eyes and making me hold it in place next to my eyes with the tips of my fingers. "GABE!" I shouted, fogging the window as I pressed my mouth to the glass and yelled again, much louder. "GABE OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOOSE A BODY PART WHEN I GET IN THERE!"

I heard laughter, and the game continued on a little longer before words I couldn't make out were exchanged, and then the screen stopped and a menu screen came up, indicating someone'd paused it. Thank God..!

I moved away from the window, tapping my foot and brushing my messy hair from around my face with impatience as the door unlocked and.. Not Gabe? Answered. "Uh, Hey?" I raised a brow and examined the guy standing tall in the doorway.

"Hey, Kellin, right?" He pushed out his hand and was standing with a posture of complete confidence. I nodded quietly and held my own hand out, taking his and shaking. "Jack." He commented, and nodded.

I nodded in return and followed him inside, seeing Gabe sitting on the couch with Jesse, and Justin. Jesse with the other controller in his hand, and Justin fishing beers from the fridge that Gabe's parents had left behind when they went out of town. The guys all looked up at me from their places, and grinning in their own stupid ways, called out, "KEL-LIN QUINN!"

I chuckled and the anger of this morning seemed to have fully evaporated, now that I was away from it all with my best friends. Justin offered me a beer, and I gratefully took one, plopping myself on the recliner and watching the guys resume their game. We were all pretty quite, nothing but the sounds of Gabe and Jesse's video game playing and the background noise of music from the stereo.

Eventually, Gabe tossed the controller to Justin, (when he thought he'd died enough) and looked over to me and then over to lonesome Jack. "So you two met, right?"

I nodded, and Jack did aswell, looking from his leaning post against the far wall at Gabe and I. "And?" Gabe pressed on, using his half gone beer to point in directions. "What do you think?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, sitting up straighter in the chair and looking out the corners of my eyes as the guys froze in their spots. "Did everyone already meet Jack?"

Gabe shrugged and nodded, as if I was late on knowing everything. "I met him, we were drinking at the same bar, and he was going on about needing a new job." He shrugged again and took a long pull of his drink. "So I introduced myself, told him about our plan.. And he said he'd be into it if we were. So I told him to come by and we'd do a test run.."

I sat up straighter in the chair, my jaw popping open, feeling like it had literally hit the hardwood floor. "This was starting to sound like a love story.. But no, instead of doing something I'd expect you to do, you.. You do, that?" I gestured toward Jack, still staring down Gabe. "So, what? You've heard him play?"