1 - Letters From Someone

Hermione Granger set her spoon down in her bowl of cereal as she heard a rapping noise on the window pane of the kitchen window.

Getting out of her seat, she walked over to the window to let in the brown tawny owl holding two thick letters in its beak.

The owl flew over to the table and dropped the letters beside her breakfast before helping himself to the cereal.

Recognizing the Hogwarts crest on the back, Hermione swiftly ripped open the first letter to read.

Dear Miss Hermione Granger,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

We are very much aware that your final year concluded at the end of last year however given the unfortunate circumstances in which resulted in quite a disruptive and inconsistent year, we have decided to offer you a chance to return this year to complete your education and sit your final exams.

All information about your course outline and necessary equipment for the year will be detailed in the second letter enclosed with this owl and we hope to see you back when term begins on September 1st.

Yours faithfully,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Hermione bounced on her toes as she read and re-read the letter.

She couldn't believe it. She was going back to Hogwarts!

Hermione squealed with excitement and picked up the second letter.

Dear Miss Hermione Granger,

On behalf of the school and myself, I am pleased to also inform you that should you accept our offer to return this year, you have been selected as our first choice for this year's Head Girl position.

I would like to congratulate you on your success and achievement throughout the years you have attended Hogwarts and I have no hesitation in bestowing this honor upon you. It is a well-earned privilege.

I feel it necessary to advise you that this year, your fellow Head will be Mr. Draco Malfoy.

We look forward to having you back Miss Granger.

Yours faithfully,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Hermione paused halfway through the letter to reach into the envelope and pull out the shiny new Head Girl badge. She held it in the palm of her hand beaming with joy at the sight of it.

She placed it gently on the table before her and continued to read.

Her glee gradually transformed into a mixture of anger and pure disbelief.

Draco Malfoy? What was McGonagall playing at? There had to be some sort of mistake. There was no way he, of all people, would be McGonagall's first choice as Head Boy.

Hermione grabbed a piece of parchment and an inkpot in a huff. Cursing Malfoy again, she grabbed a quill and started scribbling a reply to the Headmistress.

Dear Professor McGonagall,

Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity.

I will happily be accepting both your offer to return to Hogwarts as well as the position of Head Girl.

Hermione paused through her reply. She really wasn't happy with her fellow Head. She considered for a moment, declining the position but after a second thought decided against it on the basis that being Head Girl had been a life long dream of hers since the first time she had ever read Hogwarts: A History. Like hell she was going to let Draco bloody Malfoy ruin that.

She blinked a few times, contemplating what the rest of her reply would be before finishing the letter off.

Please know that I intend to conduct all of my given responsibilities and tasks in a professional and mature manner.

Thank you again for your consideration in appointing me as Head Girl and I will see you on September 1st.

Yours sincerely,
Hermione Granger

Hermione put down her quill and sighed. She was determined to make sure that Draco Malfoy would not stop her from fulfilling a lifelong dream.