Chapter Eight

Warnings: Slight angst

Word Count: 1139

July 3rd, 2017

Your hands were shaking before you had even shut the car engine off. Tyler's old car was already in the parking lot, you could have recognized it from a mile away. The car door creaked as you opened it and stepped out onto the pavement.

You spotted Tyler almost as soon as you stepped inside. He was sitting at one of the tables near the center of the café, hunched over what could only be his phone. His back was turned to you, providing you with a slight advantage. You considered turning back for a second, but the small part of you that actually wanted to reconnect with him pushed you forward.

"Hey, Ty," you said quietly, taking a seat across from him.

He looked up from his phone and hastily stuffed it in his pocket, a smile creeping across his face, "Hi."

"Did you already order?" you asked.

"No, I was waiting for you."

You should have known.

"What are we waiting for then?" you asked with a smile, trying to lighten the tension a bit.

The two of you stood up and walked over to the counter. As you waited in line, you fished around in your wallet for a few crumpled dollar bills. It was only when you emerged with a handful of them that you noticed Tyler motioning for you to stop.

"What?" you asked.

"I've got you covered."

"Are you sure? I have enough," you said, holding up the crumpled money for proof.

"Y/N, it's been ten years. Don't I kind of owe you?"

"I don't want to force you to pay for me," you trailed off.

"Please, let me do it just this once."

"I suppose," you finally caved, stuffing the money back into your wallet. Maybe you could use the money to take your mom out to coffee sometime, she would like that.

"What are you getting?"

"Hot chocolate."

"You really haven't changed, you know that?" he smiled.

You raised an eyebrow at him, "Maybe that's what you think."

He opened his mouth to retaliate, but the person in front of you in line finished ordering and he was forced to step up to the counter and order instead. You looked at all the mugs in a nearby display while Tyler ordered your drinks. When he was finished, you returned to the table that you had previously been sitting at.

"So," Tyler said drumming his fingers along the edge of the table.

"There's a lot to cover," you sighed. "Where do you want to start?"

You and Tyler made small talk for awhile. He seemed to be skirting around any serious topics, meanwhile there were a million things you were dying to ask him.

"You know, I'm surprised you're still here," Tyler said before taking a long sip of his drink.

You ran your finger around the edge of your cup, "What do you mean?"

"I thought you would have left this town a long time ago. I mean, that was always the plan, wasn't it?"

"I-I didn't really have a choice."

"Why not?"

You took a deep breath, emotions were already started to build up inside you. "Um, well, when my dad got sick he had to stop working and I stuck around to be with him and help my mom out around the house. Then, when he passed away," you paused to wipe a fallen tear away from your cheek. "My mom wasn't able to support herself and keep the house, so I got a job to boost our income a bit. Even now, the two of us are barely making enough to be comfortable."

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I didn't realize-"

You shook your head, "You aren't sorry, Ty."

He leaned back in his chair and bit his lip, there really wasn't a way for him to win that argument.

"I wanted to stay," he trailed off.

"So why didn't you?"

"I was afraid that if I didn't leave then, I never would."

"Well I guess you made the right call because look at me now," you said, exasperation just barely detectable in your voice.

"Why didn't you go to college?"

"Couldn't afford it. Trust me, Tyler, I've thought of a million things I could have done differently, but in the end staying home was the only option I really had."

"Is that really what you've been doing for the last ten years?" he asked, eyebrows knit together. Whether he was confused or sympathetic, you couldn't tell; it was like looking at a stranger again.

"Yeah, my mom is the most important thing in my life right now. And Fergus, I suppose."

"Who's Fergus?" Tyler asked, suddenly growing defensive.

"A dog that my mom and I got." Tyler relaxed a bit. "He's a golden retriever and one of the most energetic dogs I've ever met," you smiled. "But we're getting off topic."

"Sorry, that was my fault."

"How's California? Is it everything we ever dreamed of?" you asked, a slight smile tugging at the corner of your lips.

Tyler shrugged, "It's alright. At first it was weird that I didn't know every person I passed on the street by name, but I quickly got used to it. You were right about the stars though, the light pollution makes it near impossible to see them."

You raised your eyebrows at his statement, surprised that he remembered something you had said so long ago. "You like living there though?"

"Yeah, the weather is really nice. The sun is good for me, and there's plenty of places to play music."

"That's good." Tyler nodded, effectively putting an end to the conversation you were having. You pulled your phone out and checked the time. "Oh shoot, my shift starts in twenty minutes."

"You have to leave already?" Tyler asked, mouth downturning slightly.

"Yeah," you said, standing up and slinging your bag over your shoulder. "This was fun though, I'm glad we got a chance to catch up."

"Yeah, definitely."

Tyler stood up and pulled you into a hug. You started to walk off, but he called after you, "Hey, Y/N?"

You spun around, "Yeah?"

"It's fine if you don't want to, but would you maybe want to see each other again before I leave?"

"Are you going to answer if I text you to try and plan it?"

"Yes, and that's a promise."

"I'm holding you to that," you said, pointing to him as you slowly started to back towards the door.

"I expect you to."

You gave him one final wave before turning and walking out of the café. Something in the back of your mind was telling you that you were going down a dangerous path, but you pushed it to the side. For the first time in ten years, you felt like you had your best friend again.