Festival

Its morning again and still there is no sign of Kenny. Evan has given up on calling anyone who could know where he is. Nobody is talking, and I am sure it's for the same reason I don't talk to Kenny. He's a hot head.

Carlo says its important Kenny is found soon. Evan has kept quiet about Kenny's plan and I'm glad. He wants to give Kenny a chance; he doesn't want to be the one that gets his brother killed.

I hate that Kenny doesn't think about Evan when he does such stupid things. Evan thinks about him all the time.

I roll over in bed, Evan is already up. It's noon, I have slept the day away—again. I toss the covers off of me and tiptoe through the quiet house, I can't help it, ever since Kenny ran it's just Evan and me and it is eerily quiet.

It's been a long time since I talked to Vanessa. She probably thinks I ditched her. And I hate for that to ever be something she thinks I would do. So I call her.

"Hello?"

"Hey," I say, letting out a big yawn.

"I heard you moved in with some guy you just met. Gray told me when I came over the other day. He said you haven't called in a week." She isn't holding anything back. And she doesn't sound happy.

"Sort of." I bite my lip. "But you know me, Nessa. I don't do something unless it's what I want to do." She has to know I would never move in with Evan if I didn't want to.

"Yeah I know. I hope he's treating you right."

"He is. And I want to get together soon. Maybe in a few days we can hang out?" I ask, hoping she's still willing to tolerate me. I have no one else besides Evan to count on.

"Sure, you know no matter what I am always here. I figured since your parents were freaking out you were fine." We laugh. "So tell me about him."

"He's so sweet. And tall. Taller than Gray." I smile. "And you should see the abs, Nessa. He is the most attractive guy I ever seen. And he has a jersey accent." I can't believe how much I am gushing.

"Call me back and let me know when I can meet him."

I'm relieved she isn't upset with me;

Evan comes in the room in better spirits. "So, how do you feel about festivals?" he ask, sitting on the edge of the bed poking at my toes. "And how do you feel about going along while I work?"

I lean forward kissing him good morning before answering. "I like festivals. Not sure what going with you to work means."

"I need to be in the right place at the right time," he says, shrugging.

"Who?"

"I can't tell you that. I think the best way to understand this is to let you see how it happens." He runs his fingers across my arm.

It's hard to think someone can be in a good mood when they are about to kill someone. But Evan is in a good mood. "I'll go."

We dress and head to the cities' annual festival. My family has gone every year since I was a kid, and when I was young I loved going, the games and the rides, it was enough to make any child happy. But years later things changed and I didn't care anymore.

Banners hang from the telephone poles and flyers are posted in just about every store window announcing the festival.

Evan concentrates on the road. He hasn't said anything and I can't blame him. I want to know what he's thinking. Is Kenny a concern anymore?