Prologue Part II

On the morning of February 15th, Newt was rudely awoken by a loud shouting match outside his door between what sounded like –

"Theseus Scamander! You listen to your mother right this instant!"

"Mum, it was just a girl -"

"Just a girl?! Theseus, you're to be coronated in two months!"

Newt groaned. He wondered what girl would be stupid enough to know of Theseus' playboy nature and still decide he was worth her time.

"Theseus, you do realize someone is bound to leak this to the tabloids, right?"

"Nonsense! We were careful, mother!"

"If you were so careful, how come your father walked in on you two spooning each other on one of the kitchen countertops? She's here on official business from her duchy, not to be your little plaything!"

Newt rolled over and placed his pillow above his head so as to block out the noise. Their voices escalated, however, and soon he could hear them just as well as he could without the pillow.

"Mother, as long as the press doesn't find out, I don't see why it's such a big deal. Really, this has happened before, and you didn't care then!"

"You've been shirking your duties flaunting around in the States for so long, you don't even know Newton's found himself a girl!"

"You're kidding, right?"

Newt fought the urge to get out of bed and punch Theseus himself. He'd gain more on him by eavesdropping, anyway.

"Of course I'm not kidding! He's handsome enough, and if he wasn't so shy, he'd have girls flocking to him! The nerve, Theseus-"

"Mother, what does this have to do with anything?"

His eyes began drooping shut again; after all, it was only 7 o'clock in the morning. He was just dozing off when he heard his mother nearly scream.

"Theseus, his girlfriend is Leta Lestrange!"

Newt sat up straight, blinded by the light coming in the window from his right. He had to have misunderstood the implications of that sentence. His heart dropped in his chest. He went to the door, not entirely sure he wanted to hear what was coming.

"Holy mother of-"

The remainder of Theseus' sentence was cut short due to a fist in his face.

Newt's fist, to be exact.

~~~

"Remember when I told you I hated Theseus when I was five, and you told me to apologize?" Newt asked.

"I don't remember a specific time, but there seemed to be a lot of that. Why?" Her Majesty rubbed soothing circles into Newt's back.

"I meant it. I really, truly did." He hiccuped.

"Okay, dear, but it's two in the morning. I really must get to bed now."

"Alright. Sorry to keep you up," Newt replied, then added, "I should probably try to sleep as well."

"It's no problem at all, Newton. Now get some rest."

He laid back onto his pillow. There were about five bowls stacked on his nightstand, most of which had contained either ice cream or noodle soup - his comfort foods. The trash can next to his bed was nearly filled with tissues. His pillows were all over the floor, considering throwing anything harder would have likely broken something. He chuckled humorlessly under his breath. It's too late for that now. His heart was already shattered, the shards puncturing his lungs, scratching at his ribs, scarring any and all internal organs it could reach. He wanted to tear it out - what was left of it, anyway - and throw half at Theseus and half at Leta. Theseus had tried to apologize - I didn't know, Mum didn't tell me, etcetera. Empty, backhanded words, as per usual from Theseus. Even if Theseus was unaware of his new relationship with the duchess Leta Lestrange, Newt knew for a fact Theseus knew Newt had fancied her since he was twenty years old - ten years! He'd make an awful king, especially since it involved getting married and settling down. He felt bad for the next queen of Normont.

And the nerve of Leta! He'd be forced to make up some ridiculous story about how it was a mutual breakup and that no, they would not be getting back together, and no, it was nothing personal, even though it most certainly was, just so the press wouldn't have a field day about it. He didn't know how long it had been since he'd last checked, but he was on the top fifty Eligible Bachelors of the World at one point (Theseus was always checking on his own ranking), so he was relatively popular (mostly with preteen girls that still checked the EBW list, but still). He wouldn't be able to talk about it to anyone. Her reputation would be no worse for wear, even though it definitely deserved to be. What kind of girl would not only cheat on a man, but do it with his brother?

He didn't have the energy nor the motivation to be mad anymore. All he felt like doing was sobbing.

A/N: Votes and comments are worth a thousand donut holes :)

Also, just in case any of you are wondering, my update schedule should be between 3 and 4 pm EST every Sunday. The chapters should be longer after these prologue chapters, but since school is starting ridiculously early for me this year, updates may not be as consistent...? I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for reading!!