Chapter 20

Bella

A couple of days had passed since the infamous prank, and after a few hours of lounging around with the rest of the family, I had decided to call it a night. Even if it was a Friday, and I could've gotten away with pulling an all-nighter with the rest of them, I thought it best to give my body and mind a break.

Unfortunately, that night I couldn't seem to quiet my mind long enough to fall asleep. I spent about an hour tossing and turning, before giving up with a huff and throwing a pillow over my face in frustration.

There was a soft knock at my door, and I quickly removed the pillow, brushing the hair away from my face, before calling out quietly, "Come in."

A bronze-haired head popped up behind the door, making sure that it was, in fact, fine to come in, before opening the door halfway and stepping inside.

"Everything all right?" he questioned, seeing the look of frustration on my face as I covered my eyes with my hands, "God, did everyone hear me shifting around?"

He appeared nothing but amused at my train of thought, "No, they're all occupying themselves otherwise," then the smile lessened, as he looked a bit reluctant to say what he was about to. "I, um. I always listen out to make sure that you're all right."

I guess I understood why he had been hesitant to explain himself – to anyone else, his actions may have come across as unsettling and creepy – but to me, they weren't anything but endearing. He listened out for meHow adorable.

"Come here," I patted the empty space beside me, watching him smile, but follow my orders and come to rest beside me. I moved closer to him, laying my head on his chest as his arm came to rest around my body, holding me against him.

"I don't know why I can't sleep. I'm tired, and everything. But I just can't do it," I sighed, feeling him press his lips against my forehead gently. He began rubbing his thumb against my shoulder soothingly as I took a deep breath, finally feeling myself relax for the first time that evening.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" I wondered, toying with his free hand, as he chuckled for a good few seconds.

"No plans," he humoured me as I grinned, stopping my actions.

"What do you want to do?" I turned around so that I was resting my chin on my folded hands, which were atop Edward's chest.

I could tell he was having a hard time keeping a straight face, laughing a little, before taking on a thoughtful expression, his lips forming into a straight line as he pondered his options.

A minute passed, and I could see his face clearing, his almost caramel-coloured eyes looking more certain, "I have an idea."

I blinked, waiting for more, seeing his expression morph back into one of nonchalance as if he had given me a great deal of information.

My mouth opened, as my head cocked to one side, "Care to share with the class…?"

He bit the inside of his cheek, eyes playful, before shaking his head, "No."

I let out an exasperated sigh, stretching out my words, "I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow, then…" He almost laughed at how hopeful I looked, waiting for him to give me at least a hint as to where we were going to go.