Prologue

I smiled at my mom on the first day of school as I sat up straight in my car seat. My small hands thrumming nervously against the seat. I watched the school approach quickly the trees buildings rushing past the window. I breathed in a breath of excitement at the thought of seeing my friend again. The car quickly came to a stop I

I smiled at Jessi as the bus drove down the street away from the school. I looked to the side and saw Clark looking at me from across the parking lot I smiled widely and waved running up to him perkily looping my arm through his innocently.

"You ready for the first day of school?" I asked happily with a smile my green eyes meeting his blue ones. He shook his head quickly causing me to cock my head in curiosity. "Why not Clark?" I asked him casually wondering what on Earth could make him not want to be here.

"Because people don't like me much." He said quietly his eyes not meeting mine. I went to stand in front of him so that I was walking backwards and right in his line of sight.

"Well I like you Clark. Isn't that enough?" I questioned him smartly with a large smile.

"Well I guess..." He stated hesitantly. I stopped walking and put my hands up to make him stop. He looked up at me in curiosity his confusion written all over his face.

"Well if you aren't excited to see your bestest friend at school you should be excited about what you wanna be when your a grown up." I stated with a serious look on my face he looked at me with a forlorn expression.

"But what if I don't know what I wanna be when I'm a grown up?" He mumbled lightly under his breath. I gasped dramatically at his words.

"How come you don't know what you wanna be as a grown up?" I asked him as if it was such a scandal. He looked at me skeptically.

"Well what do you wanna be?" He asked me quickly trying to change the subject. I puffed out my little chest proudly.

"I'm gonna be a newspaper writer!" I stated proudly the large smile returning to my face as I began to walk again he looked at me in curiosity.

"Why?" He said struggling to catch up to me. I smiled at him proudly as I stated loudly.

"Cause I'm gonna be heard!" A fifth grader that was walking by patted me on the head and informed me that everybody can already hear me. I glared at the tall boys back as Clark grabbed my hand innocently.

"It's okay Ashlynn I'll read your paper once I learn to read. I'm sure you'll be the best newspaper writer ever." He smiled shyly at me as we walked into our classroom snagging the two Cubby's closest to the door. "Pinky swear?" I asked him holding out my small pinky, he locked his slightly larger pinky with mine. "I swear." He promised me with another smile as we went to go sit down at tables.