Chapter 18. Drawing Lines in the Sand!

Hello to my readers and thank you again for taking the time to read my story.  Apologies for the long delay in posting this update, but for the first time ever I know what writers block feels like lol.  In case you were wondering, it's pants lol 😂

Zack stood on the dais, watching his mate make her way out of the hall. And he had never felt prouder. The way she had held herself, strong, resilient and above all, a born Alpha female.

The murmurs of the pack began to grow louder as she finally left the hall, softly closing the door behind her and Zack turned his attention to his pack members before him. He truly loved his pack, but there were a few who tried his patience on a daily basis, and he was looking a most of them right now.

His fathers former inner circle were grouped together, talking quietly, and it was obvious they were not happy. He understood their loyalty to his father. But his father was no longer Alpha, and he could not have divided loyalties within the pack. They either had to suck it up and give him their support, or they could choose to leave. And that time to choose was fast approaching.

Today was not the first time one of them had been outspoken in regards to his handling of this situation. Most of the pack now knew what his mate had been put through, at the hands of her uncle. But what they did not know, and could not know, was the very large part his parents had played in it. After Sophie had fled two years ago he had gone through with the meeting he had called and had forced his father to step down as Alpha.

He had told his pack mates what had happened to Sophie and how long it had gone on for. To say that they had been shocked and dismayed that such atrocities had been committed by someone they knew, right under their noses, they had been angry and wanted to know how it had gone unnoticed by the Alpha for so long.

And that was how he had got his father to step down. The minute the pack found out what had gone on, and that their Alpha had not "known" about it, they lost all confidence in his leadership. Just as they should have. The pack might have heard the whispers of them knowing Sophie was his mate and hiding it from everyone. They may even have been prepared to let that go considering the circumstances, but had they known their beloved Alpha had not only known, but had aided that monster in giving him the scent blocker, they would have demanded his death. And even as angry as I was and still am at both my parents, I could not see them executed. But that had meant his inner circle had also gone unpunished. But that he intended to rectify.

A movement to his left caught his attention and he turned to see his Beta Matthew step up beside him. "Well that went better than I thought it would." He said quietly. "She handled herself well. But we are going to have to do something about James and his friends. They were spouting crap while you were away this morning."

Zack grunted in agreement, his eyes still fixed on the older wolves. "Yes Matthew, we will. Don't worry."

Zack turned his attention back to his pack and raised his arms, and waited for silence. "My mate stood before you tonight and pledged her help to us. She didn't have to come back. She didn't have to help us. But she is here, even after everything she has gone through, she is still prepared to help us get our young back." He swept his eyes over them, seeing hope in the eyes of the mothers who's pups have been removed.

"As your Alpha it is my responsibility and my honour, to ensure the safety of all my pack. But know this. I will not tolerate my mate being treated with anything other that respect and courtesy." He looked directly at James and his cohorts. "Anyone who is found to be behaving in any other way will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. We will bring our young home with Sophie's help. And we will be a happy and complete pack once again."

The roar that was released by the pack was deafening and heartwarming. In that moment Zack had never been prouder to be Alpha to these wolves. His family. His pack.

As he left the hall, Matthew fell into step behind him and followed him outside. They stood at the door and shook many hands, accepted many congratulations at the return of his mate and received pledges of help and support form wolves both mated and unmated, old and young. And it was humbling.

Finally the last few stragglers departed and it was only Matthew and the four other members of his inner circle where left standing with him. Calum, Mark, Chris and Liam had been friends with both him and Matthew since they were pups and when it came time to choose his advisors and helpers, it was obvious who he would select.

"James is going to be trouble Alpha." Said Calum. "Him Ron and a few others were talking shit today about Sophie coming back. Saying she would pretty much just pretend to help. That she wouldn't really try to get the young returned to us.  Most of the people who were there didn't believe him but there were a few who looked like they were being convinced by his crap."

"I'm going to speak to them tomorrow, I intend to make it very clear that they either stop with their shit stirring or they can leave the pack.  If they don't leave but continue on this path they will be banished."

Zack paused thoughtfully, banishing pack members was was very serious step.  A shifter who had been banished from his or her pack would be forever without a pack, because the chance of another accepting them was almost non existent.  No Alpha would ever take the step to banish someone without a damn good reason.  It was one of the most serious punishments a shifter could receive.  But zack knew he would not hesitate to take that step if they continued with their insubordination.

"I will not tolerate their insolence any longer.  And I will definitely not put up with them saying shit to my mate.  I have a difficult road ahead of me, to try and convince her to stay with me after we get the pups back.  I need the whole pack behind me, not working against me."

"You have our support Alpha."  Stated Matthew firmly.  "We will do all we can to show your mate that we are nothing like those neanderthals."

"Thank you all for you support.  I'm going to head to the main house now and see my mate.  I will see you all in the morning."  Zack turned but was stopped by Liam.

"Alpha."  He asked started hesitantly.  "Some of the things Ron and his buddies were saying.  Well, it did kind of get some people thinking.  He was saying that Sophie would never be able to be a true mate to you and take the mating bite on account of what she went through.  He said she was too traumatised by the abuse and wouldn't be able to allow you to mount and claim her."  He stammered out.

Zack looked at his friend and felt his anger mount at what he saw on his face.  Yes he had no doubt that it would be difficult for Sophie to take him into her body for the claiming, but he had faith in their mate bond, that it would help her through the sexual act and the bite required for a mating to be completed.  He growled low in his throat at his friend and looked at the others standing before him.  "Don't ever doubt your Alpha Females strength.  She had endured more than you or I could ever comprehend.  I know she will be able to do what is required of her.  She does not have it in her to fail.  I don't ever want to hear any of you doubt her again.  Is that clear?"

Murmurs of "yes Alpha" followed him as he turned and swiftly made his way home to his mate.  He knew they needed to sit down and talk about what had happened tonight.  And what was to come.

Thanks again for reading, vote, comment, good or bad all feedback is truly appreciated.