24

"Mommy, are we going to have a new Daddy now?"

Charity sat at her vanity, running a brush through her long blonde hair. Her hands trembled just slightly and she sighed at Caroline's question. She set the brush down to face her eldest daughter.

"I'm working on talking to Father, Caroline, but it's going to take awhile. It's best if I keep up the charade and continue to see Mr. Thomas in the meantime."

Caroline scowled. "But I want my daddy!"

"I know you do, darling." Charity sighed and lifted her daughter's face up by the chin. "But these things take time — and you can't let Grandpa know of your true feelings or else we may never see your daddy again, do you understand?"

Tears shining in Caroline's eyes, she nodded. Charity sighed and kissed the girl's forehead.

"Thank you. Now, be a good girl and go play with your sister, all right? Mr. Thomas will be here soon and I must finish getting ready."

Caroline nodded and left the room, unnaturally silent for a girl her age. Charity sighed and turned back to her mirror.

The phone rang.

It rang once, twice, before Charity realized nobody else was going to answer it. Sighing, she rose to her feet and went into the hall. The ringing had almost stopped, but Charity picked the phone up before the last ring could come through.

"Hello?"