Part 2

*Rose's POV*

I walked off to the bleachers, overlooking the field outside. I threw my stuff down and took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I looked up and saw Everett on the field. I forgot what class he had. Damn it! He plays baseball out here during first period to get ready for practice! I glanced around, looking for a safe escape route through which I could run away. He suddenly made eye contact with me. Abort mission! I made a surprised choking noise as he headed towards me.

"Why did you walk out?" Everett asked, sounding slightly annoyed. I huffed, still angry from what happened in class. His expression softened at my clear frustration. "Who did what?" he changed the wording of his question.

"Cyrus," I stated. As soon as I uttered his name, Everett's expression changed again. Everett looked angry. I shrunk away from him slightly. Everett never gets angry. Everett is always nice and happy. Everett needs to be, for me. This is not Everett. What happened to him? Why didn't I realize he was changing? He became more irritable, as did I in the past few weeks. Everett was never mad. What is going on? He stood up suddenly, making me flinch.

"I'm gonna beat the hell out of him," Everett growled lowly. A gasp escaped my mouth. He began walking to my classroom. I pulled his arm, trying to get him to turn around and leave Cyrus alone. Everett was practically dragging me through the hall. By this time, I was beginning to get mad. He doesn't need to fight my battles for me! I can do that for myself! I don't need his protection! The door swung opened with a thud, and in walked a furious Everett with me tugging at his arm desperately.

"Miss Lombardi, Mister Graciel, so nice of you to join us," Mr. Strickler commented, the words sounding incredibly sarcastic. Everett ignored him and made his way to Cyrus' seat.

"Hey, sweetheart. Glad to see you back," Cyrus stated, not looking up. Everett slammed his hand down.

"I don't like it when people are constantly harassing my friend," he growled. I raised a questioning eyebrow, but he ignored it.

"You'd better not start, Everett. He wasn't really doing anything," I defended Cyrus, raising my hands to push him away and frowning. He stopped dead in his tracks and let me push him away. He was alarmingly silent for someone who had just until this very second had been so angry. "What is it?" I demanded. He looked like a scolded puppy, which for some reason made me feel a bit guilty.

"You called me by my first name," he pointed out quietly. As if that explains anything.

"So what?" I asked, completely confused.

"The last time you called me Everett was five years ago..." he explained. I raised an eyebrow, then realized he was right and let out a quiet gasp.

"Oh, well. Sorry, but you need to leave," Cyrus commented. Everett's eyes immediately darkened in sudden anger.

"Excuse me?" he asked, incredibly pissed off.

"Shut up, Cyrus!" I scolded Cyrus quickly, trying to avoid conflict for once rather than causing it.

"Get out," Cyrus ordered.

"If you hurt him I swear to God that I will not talk to you ever again," I threatened Everett. He let out a groan of exasperation and walked out the door, letting it slam shut.

"I guess I have to stay here now?" I thought out loud as I plopped down on my desk. The next few periods passed by in a blur, most of which consisted of me ignoring Everett. At lunch, he finally confronted me.

"Why are you mad?" he asked me. I raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"Did you forget all about this morning?" I asked in response.

"I didn't actually do anything," Everett protested. I scoffed at his words.

"You overreacted. He didn't do anything, he just frustrates me. Do you actually want to know what he said?" I asked. He made eye contact with me and I held it. "He told me he cared. He told me he wasn't messing around with me. He also told me he wanted me react properly to what he said," I stated. Everett bit his lip thinking.

"He was just flirting with you?" he asked meekly. I nodded in response and sighed.

"Look, I don't want to fight right now. I'm leaving soon. Let's just get over this," I said, trying to be a peacemaker for once. Everett nodded in agreement and we sighed discontently together.

"Rosie, i'm really gonna miss you when you leave," Everett stated suddenly. I blinked, then nodded. I was going to miss him.

"Me too, Ev," I muttered.

"Eat," he ordered. I raised an eyebrow. "You didn't eat breakfast." 

"How do you know?" I questioned him. He gave me the look. The one that says 'come on, i'm your best friend, I know everything.' I sighed, giving up because I knew he was right. "I'm not hungry." Just then, I heard my stomach growl. Everett laughed and pushed a tray onto my hands. I gave it back. "Fine, I'll eat an apple," I caved.

"Alright, as long as you're eating," he agreed, grinning. I smiled slightly at his antics. Everett sat beside me and we ate quickly.

The rest of the day was quick and before I knew it I was climbing onto the passenger seat of Everett's car. I patiently waited for him to start driving. He started the ignition and drove me to my house. "Did you bring clothes?" I asked. He patted his backpack.

"Always be prepared," he remarked, causing me to laugh. We stepped into my living room laughing, but I got quiet when I saw my mother sitting on the couch. "Hello, Mrs. Lombardi," Everett greeted my mother respectfully.

"Miss," she corrected him. She then turned her attention to me. "Why did I get a call that said you walked out of class and Everett was about to someone up?" she asked.

A/N: I've been working on this for a while. Point out grammar and spelling errors!