Two

Continuous beeping is what I hear first. My body is really achy and even with the dim lighting, my eyes were hurting when I open them, so I close them back up.

"Patient seems to be regaining consciousness." says the voice of a female.

"What's her name again?" asks the voice of a male.

"She's a Jane Doe. No identification was found on or around her." says the voice of another female.

It was a struggle, but I successfully pried my eyes open to see who's with me. It's a doctor, a female nurse, and a male nurse.

"Vital signs are satisfactory. Could be worse but it seems like her condition is rapidly improving." the female nurse says while looking at a monitor.

The doctor comes to my bedside and looks me in the eye. "Good morning, You may call me Doctor V. With me are Nurses James and Caroline. Can you hear me?"

I nodded yes.

"Great, can you tell me your full name?"

"Gwendolyn Leroy."

"Okay, Ms. Leroy, do you know what happened to you?"

"Car accident?" I asked.

"Correct, how much of it do you remember."

"All of it."

She holds open my eye and shines a mini flashlight in my eye. My eye immediately shuts, for the light has brought pain back into my eyes again.

"You're responding to lights so you didn't lose your vision. Can you tell me the current year?"

"2017."

"Good. Do you remember anything happening right after the car accident?"

"No. I blacked out completely."

Doctor V. walks around to the foot of my hospital bed and takes out a pen from her coat pocket.

"I'm going to check for paralysis now." Without warning, Doctor V. runs her pen up the bottom of my foot, making me flinch uncomfortably. She wrote something down on a clipboard, then clicked her pen and put it back into her pocket. She whispered something to the nurses and they both dismissed themselves from the room.

"Okay hun, let's talk woman to woman. Your accident was pretty bad. You could've been pronounced dead at the scene, but you were lucky. Do you know why you're still alive?"

"No." I close my eyes again because I haveo a huge headache.

"Supposedly, you were found with a very weak pulse by an anonymous hiker. Our blood tests show that vampire venom was injected into your system."

My eyes shot back open. "What are you trying to say?"

Dr. V took off her red glasses and put it in her coat's breast pocket. "Look, when certain events like your car crash happen, people's lives will sometimes completely change. But the important thing is that you're alive, and hopefully walking out of here able-bodied."

I looked at her in confusion. "Am I going to be a vampire now?"

She paused for a moment. She sighed a bit, but she finally continued. "Well, whoever bit you should know that it was a risky process. It doesn't always work, as a matter of fact, sometimes a body would reject vampire venom and a bitten person would die on spot. Lucky for you, your body reacted really well with the venom and sped up the healing process of your wounds."

I shook my head in denial. "You never answered my question."

"Well, we can't tell for sure if you'll undergo a transition. You see, depending on your immunity, your immune system will either kill off the vampire venom, or be completely overpowered by it and you'll begin transformation. Once it starts, the conversion process will take a week to complete. You'll have to inject yourself with daily shots and stay very hydrated because your body is going to change it's blood type during the transformation process."