Alex

Alex's POV

'It's like he doesn't even notice the stares we've been getting' I think as I follow Amos back to the Rocinate.

"What's an earther and a Martian doing on Ceres?" Someone says as a group of people step in front of Amos 'shit' I think "especially with backpacks full of items? Haven't you inners taken enough from us" he spats.

Before Amos can say anything I step up. "Listen hoss we don't want any trouble, we just picked up some things of a lost relative and now we are going back to our ship"

The man quirks an eyebrow "why you wearing Millers hat? He died yeah? You telling me you're his relatives?" He says turning towards Amos.

  "Yeah we are, now move, before I move you" Amos growls

"Calm down cowboy" I say placing my hand on his shoulder. Before turning back to the young man.

"We... were from the Rocinate and well he was aboard he became family. We just wanted things to remember him by, that's all"

The man looks at me doubtful at first, than a smile crosses his face. "Miller, that dog, he sleeps with anybody.. not many would care for his things... "

Before he can finish Amos reaches for something, I tense up thinking it's his blaster but it's just his data pad. And pulls up a video of Miller, obviously sent right before he went back into Eros.

  "I'm not going make it, I'm sorry Amos.. I'm sorry it's ending like this.. we didn't get enough time.. to get to know each other. I want you to learn about me. Go to my apartment on Ceres and get to know me. Tell me about you" Amos turns off the video at the point. Leaving me and the others silent.

"My condolences" he says before tapping his chest with two fingers. And to my surprise Amos does it back. And without another word, they move out of our way and we make it back to the Roci without any more trouble.

As soon as we're inside the Roci, Amos goes straight to the galley and puts the bags on the table, I watch without a word as he slowly takes out everything. Stunned at the gentleness and the fact he is doing this in the galley instead of his private work room.

"We were talking on a separate channel, I told him everything about me. The things I've only told you guys. To me he was part of the family" he says as he takes out the last of the stuff.

  "I'm sorry for keeping all of this from you guys, families don't keep secrets" he says turning towards me.

"It's alright hoss we all understand" I say and he nods

"That Family thing though... sometimes I wish we were you know all that intimate" I say and immediately curse myself for saying anything.

" me too" he says

"But why did you brush me off earlier back in Miller's room?"

"I I don't know... all I could focus on was him... his things... the fact he keeps showing up, where I can only see him"

Without saying a word I hug the big man. Surprised a little when he didn't flinch or move, and actually returned the hug"

Burying my face in his shoulder blade I closed my eyes and relaxed.

"This is sweet" I hear Holden say, part of me wanted to jump back and pretend nothing was happening. But Amos's hold kept me where I was. Though I did look at them and grin shyly.

"Jealous cap you want some of this love"  Amos says grinning 

I watch as Holden blushes and Naomi smiles. Trying to ignore the fact I say him there too. Miller standing there next to Holden and Naomi smiling.

  "He's alive" I say

"Who" Holden and Naomi say at the same time

"Miller... somehow he survived and we need to save him.." the looks on their faces surprise me, as they say nothing.

"You've seen him too"

They look at each other, and than back at us and nod.

Breaking his hug, which made me feel lonely for a minute, Amos picks up the data disc he found in the hidden compartment.

"I believe this has the answers" he says.

Naomi takes the data disc and looks at it "I'll try to decipher It, but we have other problems as well"

"Some idiot sky hopper flew into the ring and it's activated as well as blew the guys head off. And now the inners and belters are sending vessels there to study it even closer." Holden says

"Well shall we eat and get going" I say "and it will take awhile to get there, we could also do other things, you know the Roci she's good at autopilot"

"Or we can do that after we eat" Amos says

No one fights with the idea as I begin cooking.