Borrowed Seconds

"Jeron, ano ba naman yan! Yung ex mo ginagawa nanaman akong messenger." I complained as I handed over the box of cupcakes his ex gave him.

Ex for ex-fling. Jeron doesn't do commitments and relationships. I mean, not anymore. That's why all of them is just a fling to him. And by 'all of them' I meant half the school. Okay, that was totally an exaggeration so to make it simple: my best friend is a playboy. And with his looks and charm, he has the right to be.

"Which ex-fling?" He chuckled and peeked inside the box.

"Ewan ko." I answered irritably mainly because it's a Red Day for me plus his ex-fling kept on badgering me to give the cupcakes to Jeron when I kept telling her she should give it herself. "After your twentieth I didn't bother to remember their names. For sure naman I won't see them around much."

"Bakit ang high blood mo today? Meron ka no?" He even had the nerve to tease me about it. He knows how moody I am whenever it's this time of the month.

"Dyan ka na nga." I replied and stood up to leave but he held my wrist. "'To naman. Kala mo naman di ako sanay sa moods mo." He remarked. "O, you take this cupcake nalang. Sugar vacuum ka pag meron ka e."

"Ayoko niyan. Mamaya may gayuma pa 'yan. Sa lalake ko gusto ma-in love no." I told him when I sat back down.

"E bakit ba kasi ayaw mo yung Justin. Or yung Miguel. Or kung sino pa yung gusto manligaw sayo. Ang choosy mo kasi e." He said as he munched on the chocolate cupcake.

Duh, Jeron. Didn't you pay attention to the hundreds of chick flicks we watched? The girl best friend always falls in love with the guy best friend. The only difference is, we're not in the movies where in the end they pull in for that great big kiss.

I've always thought we would end up that way. That after your first, second, or third fling, you would realize that all along, it's me you're in love with. You just needed to meet a few wrong girls in the process. Pero jusko naman ilang wrong girls na wala ka padin ba narerealize?!

By now, you might have concluded that I am a hopeless romantic and that I am bitter with all of his ex-flings. I wouldn't even try to deny any of it, though I am not bitter with all. Just ninety percent of them.

"You're spacing out again." He stated. "Seriously, you're the only one who spaces out like that kapag kasama ako. Samantalang yung iba nakakatakot na ang pagka-observant."

"That's because I'm oblivious to your charms, Jeron." I responded. First lie.

"Sus. If I know kaya ka walang boyfriend kasi may gusto ka sakin." He joked. By now, I've gotten used to him saying it. Imagine the horror in my face when he first joked about it. I really thought he found out! I could have sworn the color was drained out of my face that time.

"Gwapo mo kasi e no?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"Pero bakit nga hindi mo sila pinapayagan manligaw? Hindi naman strict sila Tita about sa pagboboyfriend mo." He said. "Maganda ka naman, matalino, mabait. Medyo weird lang minsan pero okay naman."

"You're always joking na ako may gusto sayo. Baka naman ikaw pala may gusto sakin." I joked, hoping he'd say 'yes.' As if. We've had this conversation a lot of times.

"Maganda ka pero di kita type." He stated casually. Ang sakit nun ha? Why couldn't he just stopped at 'Maganda ka'? Did he really have to say it in my face that I'm not his type and that I'll be the forever best friend lang?

"Alam ko. Di rin naman kita type." I retorted. Second lie.

"Opposite nga ako ng type mo e." He laughed.