One

CLEMENTINE

** PLEASE NOTE: This is unedited so I am sure there are countless errors :) **

The mountains of West Virginia were breathtaking. I couldn't keep my eyes off them as I drove, lost in their wonder. They reminded me of a picture painted on canvas. I hadn't been here since I was five, the year my grandfather died. I have no memories of my Gran. She passed when I was just a baby, but I remember Grampy. He always had candy and quarters in his pockets for me.

The sign for Jacob's Fork slid past and I sat up a little straighter. Appalachia University, better known as Wolfpack U, came into view a few minutes later. My new home. Part of me still questioned if I was ready for this, for any of it, but it was the least I could do for my dad.

When I started filing out my college applications in high school, Daddy told me to make sure to apply to Appalachia. I looked at him like he'd grown two heads. Why on earth would I apply some hick school in West Virginia when I wanted to go UCLA where my sister attended? He'd badgered me until I agreed to at least send in an application.

Looking at the school, I had to admit it didn't look like a hillbilly school. It looked better than a lot of college campuses I'd toured during my senior year in high school. Quaint. No, that wasn't the word, but it came close. This place held a lot of history. The architecture was beautiful. Lots of stone and natural wood along with modern buildings hidden in between the rustic atmosphere.

I drove through the campus, just getting a feel for the place. The massive football stadium dominated one entire section, but then again, the Wolves were one of the best teams in the states. They shared the same mascot as the state's pro-team.

Yes, I looked them up. The cheerleader in me couldn't resist even if I didn't cheer anymore. A shudder tore through me at just the thought of being back on a field. No, you are not going there, Clemintine Mae Towns.

This was my new beginning. The past wasn't going to stop me.

I'd begin my junior year here, graduate from the school my grandfather went to. The one my father earned his degree from. It was the only thing he'd ever asked of me and I'd laughed it off, holding my acceptance letter to UCLA.

Looking back now, I wish I could tell the foolish girl she should have listened to her father. Things would be so much different if I had.

I got turned around twice before I found my dorm. The large four-story building didn't look like your typical dorm. It looked like some huge colonial house, the stone and wood façade fitting in perfectly with the woodsy environment. People were everywhere and it took me a few tries to find a parking spot.

Wanda, as I called my Honda Civic, slid into the newly vacated spot and seemed almost grateful when I cut the engine. I'd driven here straight from Los Angelos, only stopping at night to sleep and inhale some food. I'd wanted away from LA about as fast as Cookie Monster could gobble cookies.

Getting out, I picked up the two boxes in the back seat, my purse, and my laptop case. I was on the third floor, room 306. It was a bit tricky to maneuver around people, but I managed to get up the steps and into the building without much of a hassle. The line at the elevator, though?

Not happening. I took one look at all the people standing around with their junk and turned to the doorway that led to the stairs. I could carry some boxes. All that cheerleading training was at least good for something. Stairs didn't faze me.

One thing I'd also learned were all the dorms on campus were co-ed. Something that blew my mind. Out in LA, sure, I'd not even bat an eye, but out here in the mountains of West Virginia? Family value country? Never saw it coming.