Chapter Seven: Halloween.

HALLOWEEN

Malfoy couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that Harry and (Y/n) were still at Hogwarts the next day, looking tired but perfectly cheerful. Indeed, by the next morning Harry and (Y/n) thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure, and they were quite keen to have another one. In the meantime, Harry filled Ron in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and they spent a lot of time wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," said Ron.
"Or both," said (Y/n). But as all they knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about two inches long, they didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues. Neither Neville nor Hermione showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor. All Neville cared about was never going near the dog again. Hermione was now refusing to speak to Harry and Ron, but still talked to (Y/n) as he was her study partner after all. All they really wanted now was a way of getting back at Malfoy, and to their great delight, just such a thing arrived in the mail about a week later. As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls.

(Y/n) was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in this large parcel and was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped it in front of his brother. Harry ripped open the letter first, which was lucky, because it said: DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE. It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session. Professor McGonagall

(Y/n) saw that Harry was having difficulty hiding his glee as he handed the note to Ron to read.
"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one." They left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before their first class, but halfway across the entrance hall they found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy seized the package from Harry and felt it.
"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them." Ron couldn't resist it.
"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."
"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig." Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow. "Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.
"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.
"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"
"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry, fighting not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he added.

(Y/n), Harry and Ron headed upstairs, smothering their laughter at Malfoy's obvious rage and confusion. "Well, it's true," Harry chortled as they reached the top of the marble staircase, "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team...."
"So, I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind them. Hermione was stomping up the stairs, looking disapprovingly at the package in Harry's hand.
"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" said Harry.
"Yes, don't stop now," said Ron, "it's doing us so much good." (Y/n) elbowed Ron in his side much to the delight of Hermione who marched away with her nose in the air. Harry had a lot of trouble keeping his mind on his lessons that day. It kept wandering up to the dormitory where his new broomstick was lying under his bed or straying off to the Quidditch field where he'd be learning to play that night. He bolted his dinner that evening without noticing what he was eating, and then rushed upstairs with his brother and Ron to unwrap the Nimbus Two Thousand at last.

"Wow," Ron sighed, as the broomstick rolled onto Harry's bedspread. Even the twins, who knew nothing about the different brooms, thought it looked wonderful. Sleek and shiny, with a mahogany handle, it had a long tail of neat, straight twigs and Nimbus Two Thousand written in gold near the top. When seven o'clock drew near (Y/n) wished his brother good luck with Wood and brought him into a hug before Harry scurried off with his new broom. Ron looked at (Y/n) expectantly.
"So, what should we do?" he asked, (Y/n) grabbed his satchel full of Charms and Transfiguration books and opened the portrait door.
"I'm going to study, I suggest you do the same... But if you don't Harry's got a stash of pumpkin pasties in a tin under his bed" smiled (Y/n) as he winked at Ron before closing the painting behind him as he left the common room.

(Y/n) wandered the corridors of the great castle passing by students from the different houses, teachers and occasionally the odd ghostly apparition as he made his way to the intended destination. Finally, after what seemed like hours but was actually only a few minutes, (Y/n) found himself in the Charms classroom. The small Professor Flitwick smiled as he saw the eldest Potter enter the classroom, the class he had just been teaching was the last one for the day and so he was just beginning to pack away his wand and books.
"Ah, mister Potter what can I do for you?" asked the Head of Ravenclaw house.
"I was wondering if I could trouble you for a moment or two, professor if that would be okay?" asked (Y/n) nervously, but the professor simply smiled.
"Why of course"
"Well I heard that you used to be a duelling champion... And since you are also the Charms professor I was wondering if you could perhaps tutor me in some advanced charms?" Flitwick brought his hand to his chin and scratched thoughtfully.
"Perhaps, you seem to be very interested in advancing, normally I would commend such behaviour but one can't help but wonder if mister Malfoy is involved" pondered the teacher, (Y/n) looked appalled at the accusation.
"I assure you Professor Flitwick, I want to learn more powerful charms to only better not myself but others and not to beat Draco Malfoy" (Y/n) swore, Flitwick then smiled at (Y/n).
"Well then I don't see why not, show me your most advanced charm, here use this as a target" Flitwick leaned an old armoured chest plate against the wall before standing behind (Y/n). Taking a deep breath, (Y/n) brought out his wand and pointed it at the chest plate.
"INCENDIO DUO!" From the icy blue points of (Y/n)'s wand came an eruption of flames that spewed over the steel plated armour turning it bright orange as it almost reached its melting point. Flitwick gawked at the scene before him before he clapped his hands together furiously.
"Bravo Potter, Bravo indeed. Not many students even know of the second form of the fire making charm" praised Flitwick. (Y/n) looked exhausted, like he tried to lift a fire truck whilst standing chest deep in quicksand.
"Thank... You sir" (Y/n) panted as he tried to regain his composure "Although at first, I thought about casting Incendio Tria" Flitwick smiled at the boy before him.
"Well I'm certainly glad you did not, I didn't even hear of Incendio Tria until my second duelling championship... What other charms, curses or hexes do you know of?"
"Well... I purchased a couple books on my last trip to Diagon Alley and found the spells; Bombarda Maxima, Apparate the teleportation spell and one called Fiendfyre..."

Flitwick paced back and forth on top of his desk so that he was eye height with his student.
"Fiendfyre, that's a difficult curse Potter. Dark magic as well, you would do best to stay away from that" he said, (Y/n) nodded but then scrunched up his face and opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. "What is it, is there something else?" asked the Ravenclaw teacher
"Sir, I was reading a book on the train to Hogwarts and well. I came across something, the three Unforgivable curses... Avada Kedavra... That was the one that killed my parents, the one Voldemort used wasn't it?" Flitwick looked saddened at this and (Y/n) knew it must have been true.
"Yes, the death curse... Favoured amongst Death Eaters... You must promise that you will never use the curses (Y/n), I know that you know the other two"
"Imperio and Crucio" muttered (Y/n) "Professor, I wish to learn more, not just about the curses but about normal charms, curses and hexes and I promise you that I will never use the curses" Flitwick seemed happy with this as a smile appeared on his face.
"Well then, if you are so keen on learning, who am I to deny you. Meet me at the training grounds on Saturday, where Madam Hooch usually has Broom practice. I shall teach you some magic that will leave everyone gawking at you, as if they don't already" (Y/n) smiled at the short teacher.
"Thank you so much Professor!" he said as he shook the retired duellist's hand.
"Oh and because of your advanced knowledge on charms and your pursuit of more knowledge, I am awarding fifty points to Gryffindor" (Y/n)'s eyes widened in surprise as Flitwick checked his watch. "Ops, looks like you don't have much time until curfew. Best get a run along before that grumpy old caretaker comes lurking around" (Y/n) nodded with a smile at his professor before bolting out the door after making sure he had all his books.

The castle felt more like home than Privet Drive ever had. (Y/n)'s lessons, too, were becoming more and more interesting now that they had mastered the basics and his charms skills were rocketing thanks to the weekly practise sessions with Flitwick. On Halloween morning (Y/n), Harry and Ron woke to the delicious smell of baking pumpkin wafting through the corridors. Even better, Professor Flitwick announced in Charms that he thought they were ready to start making objects fly, something they had all been dying to try since they'd seen him make Neville's toad zoom around the classroom. Professor Flitwick put the class into pairs to practice. (Y/n)'s partner was Hermione Granger (which was a relief, because Neville had been trying to catch his eye). Ron, however, was to be working with Neville. It was hard to tell whether Ron was angry or saddened about this. Neville hadn't spoken to either of them since the day Harry's broomstick had arrived.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too -- never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest." It was very difficult. (Y/n) and Hermione swished and flicked and instantly their feathers sent skyward.
"Well done, miss Granger and mister Potter!" said Flitwick
Harry and Seamus got so impatient that they prodded it with his wand and set fire to it -- Harry had to put it out with his hat. Ron, at the next table, wasn't having much more luck.
"Wingardium Leviosa!" he shouted, waving his long arms like a windmill.
"You're saying it wrong," (Y/n) heard Hermione say, he looked to his left and saw that Ron was sitting next to Hermione. "It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."
"You do it, then, if you're so clever," Ron snarled. Hermione rolled up the sleeves of her gown, flicked her wand, and said,
"Wingardium Leviosa!" The feather rose off the desk and hovered about four feet above their heads again. Ron was in a very bad mood by the end of the class.
"It's no wonder no one can stand her," he said to Harry as they pushed their way into the crowded corridor, "she's a nightmare, honestly."
Someone knocked into (Y/n) as they hurried past him. It was Hermione. (Y/n) caught a glimpse of her face -- and was startled to see that she was in tears. "I think she heard you."
"So?" said Ron, but he looked a bit uncomfortable. "She must've noticed she's got no friends."
"Are you always mean or is it just because its Monday?" snarled (Y/n)

Hermione didn't turn up for the next class and wasn't seen all afternoon. On their way down to the Great Hall for the Halloween feast, the twins and Ron overheard Parvati Patil telling her friend Lavender that Hermione was crying in the girls' bathroom and wanted to be left alone. Ron looked still more awkward at this, but a moment later they had entered the Great Hall, where the Halloween decorations put Hermione out of their minds. A thousand live bats fluttered from the walls and ceiling while a thousand more swooped over the tables in low black clouds, making the candles in the pumpkins stutter. The feast appeared suddenly on the golden plates, as it had at the start-of-term banquet. (Y/n) was just helping himself to a baked potato when Professor Quirrell came sprinting into the hall, his turban askew and terror on his face. Everyone stared as he reached Professor Dumbledore's chair, slumped against the table, and gasped, "Troll -- in the dungeons -- thought you ought to know." He then sank to the floor in a dead faint. There was an uproar. It took several purple firecrackers exploding from the end of Professor Dumbledore's wand to bring silence.
"Prefects," he rumbled, "lead your Houses back to the dormitories immediately!" Percy was in his element.
"Follow me! Stick together, first years! No need to fear the troll if you follow my orders! Stay close behind me, now. Make way, first years coming through! Excuse me, I'm a prefect!"
"How could a troll get in?" Harry asked as they climbed the stairs.
"Don't ask me, they're supposed to be really stupid," said Ron. "Maybe Peeves let it in for a Halloween joke." They passed different groups of people hurrying in different directions. As they jostled their way through a crowd of confused Hufflepuffs, (Y/n) suddenly grabbed his brother's and Ron's arms.
"I've just thought -- Hermione."
"What about her?" asked Harry
"She doesn't know about the troll." Ron bit his lip.
"Oh, all right," he snapped. "But Percy'd better not see us."

Ducking down, they joined the Hufflepuffs going the other way, slipped down a deserted side corridor, and hurried off toward the girls' bathroom. They had just turned the corner when they heard quick footsteps behind them.
"Percy!" hissed Ron, pulling Harry behind a large stone griffin. Peering around it, however, they saw not Percy but Snape. He crossed the corridor and disappeared from view.
"What's he doing?" Harry whispered.
"Why isn't he down in the dungeons with the rest of the teachers?" asked (Y/n)
"Search me." Quietly as possible, they crept along the next corridor after Snape's fading footsteps.
"He's heading for the third floor," Harry said, but Ron held up his hand.
"Can you smell something?" (Y/n) sniffed and a foul stench reached his nostrils, a mixture of old socks and the kind of public toilet no one seems to clean. And then they heard it -- a low grunting, and the shuffling footfalls of gigantic feet. Ron pointed -- at the end of a passage to the left, something huge was moving toward them. They shrank into the shadows and watched as it emerged into a patch of moonlight. It was a horrible sight. Twelve feet tall, its skin was a dull, granite grey, its great lumpy body like a boulder with its small bald head perched on top like a coconut. It had short legs thick as tree trunks with flat, horny feet. The smell coming from it was incredible. It was holding a huge wooden club, which dragged along the floor because its arms were so long. The troll stopped next to a doorway and peered inside. It waggled its long ears, making up its tiny mind, then slouched slowly into the room.
"The keys in the lock," Harry muttered. "We could lock it in."
"Good idea," said Ron nervously. They edged toward the open door, mouths dry, praying the troll wasn't about to come out of it. With one great leap, Harry managed to grab the key, slam the door, and lock it.
"Yes!" Flushed with their victory, they started to run back up the passage, but as they reached the corner they heard something that made their hearts stop -- a high, petrified scream -- and it was coming from the chamber they'd just chained up. "Oh, no," said Ron, pale as the Bloody Baron.
"It's the girls' bathroom!" (Y/n) gasped.
"Hermione!" they said together.

It was the last thing they wanted to do, but what choice did they have? Wheeling around, they sprinted back to the door and turned the key, fumbling in their panic. (Y/n) pulled the door open and they ran inside. Hermione Granger was shrinking against the wall opposite, looking as if she was about to faint. The troll was advancing on her, knocking the sinks off the walls as it went.
"Confuse it!" (Y/n) said desperately to his brother and Ron, and, seizing a tap, he threw it as hard as he could against the wall. The troll stopped a few feet from Hermione. It lumbered around, blinking stupidly, to see what had made the noise. Its mean little eyes saw (Y/n). It hesitated, then made for him instead, lifting its club as it went.
"Oy, pea-brain!" yelled Ron from the other side of the chamber, and he threw a metal pipe at it. The troll didn't even seem to notice the pipe hitting its shoulder, but it heard the yell and paused again, turning its ugly snout toward Ron instead, giving (Y/n) time to run around it.
"Come on, run, run!" (Y/n) yelled at Hermione, trying to pull her toward the door, but she couldn't move, she was still flat against the wall, her mouth open with terror. The shouting and the echoes seemed to be driving the troll berserk. It roared again and started toward Ron, who was nearest and had no way to escape. (Y/n) then did something that was both very brave and very stupid: He took a great running jump and managed to fasten his arms around the troll's neck from behind. The troll couldn't feel (Y/n) hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and (Y/n)'s wand had still been in his hand when he'd jumped -- it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils. Howling with pain, the troll twisted and flailed its club, with (Y/n) clinging on for dear life. Then an idea struck (Y/n), but he had to act quick or else they might all die. Grabbing his wand even tighter (Y/n) summoned one of the new spells Flitwick had taught him.
"GLACIUS!" he shouted and a burst of white light shone from the end of the wand from inside the nose of the troll. The mountain troll howled in pain, it dropped its club which hit the ground with a damaging crack, (Y/n) quickly kicked off from the troll by pushing his legs against the troll's neck and wrenched his wand free. The troll stammered backwards as frost spread over its body turning its skin blue, its eyes glazed over as they were covered in ice and it stopped moving when its brain was frozen. The troll swayed on the spot and then fell flat on its face, with a thud that made the whole room tremble.

(Y/n) got to his feet. He was shaking and out of breath. Ron and Harry were still standing there with their wands still raised, staring at what (Y/n) had done. It was Hermione who spoke first. "Is it -- dead?" she asked
"I think so," said (Y/n). He bent down to take a closer look but was interrupted by Hermione crushing him with a bear hug. She rested her head on his shoulder and whispered;
"Thank you." Sudden slamming and loud footsteps made the four of them look up. They hadn't realized what a racket they had been making, but of course, someone downstairs must have heard the crashes and the troll's roars. A moment later, Professor McGonagall had come bursting into the room, closely followed by Snape, with Quirrell bringing up the rear. Quirrell took one look at the troll, let out a faint whimper, and sat quickly down on a toilet, clutching his heart. Snape bent over the troll. Professor McGonagall was looking at (Y/n) and Harry. (Y/n) had never seen her look so angry. Her lips were white. Hopes of winning fifty points for Gryffindor faded quickly from anyone's mind.

"What on earth were you thinking of?" said Professor McGonagall, with cold fury in her voice. Harry looked at (Y/n), who was still standing confidently. "You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in your dormitory?" Snape gave Harry a swift, piercing look. Harry looked at the floor. (Y/n) wished Ron would put his wand down. Then a small voice came out of the shadows.
"Please, Professor McGonagall -- they were looking for me."
"Miss Granger!" Hermione had walked out from behind (Y/n).
"I went looking for the troll because I -- I thought I could deal with it on my own -- you know, because I've read all about them." Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher? "If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. (Y/n) stuck his wand up its nose and used the Glacius charm to freeze it to death. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived." The twins and Ron tried to look as though this story wasn't new to them.
"Well -- in that case..." said Professor McGonagall, staring at the four of them, "Miss Granger, your foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?" Hermione hung her head. (Y/n) was speechless. Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was, pretending she had, to get them out of trouble. It was as if Snape had started handing out sweets.
"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this," said Professor McGonagall. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor tower. Students are finishing the feast in their houses. You too Mister Weasley." Hermione and Ron left.

Professor McGonagall turned to Harry and (Y/n). "Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have beaten on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. You may go." They hurried out of the chamber and didn't speak at all until they had climbed two floors up. It was a relief to be away from the smell of the troll, quite apart from anything else.
"We should have gotten more than ten points," Harry grumbled.
"Five, you mean, once she's taken off Hermione's."
"Good of her to get us out of trouble like that," Harry admitted. "Mind you, we did save her."
"She might not have needed saving if we hadn't locked the thing in with her," (Y/n) reminded him. They had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.
"Pig snout," they said and entered. The common room was packed and noisy. Everyone was eating the food that had been sent up. Hermione, however, stood alone by the door, waiting for them. There was a very embarrassed pause. Then, none of them looking at each other, they all said
"Thanks," and hurried off to get plates. But from that moment on, Hermione Granger became their friend. There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.