Chapter Sixteen - Alani

Alani is screaming. She shoves a guard into the wall as she rushes toward the arena's holding cell. Mira's never been injured like this. She's never gone down so hard, and so fast.

Please Goddess, let her be alright, Alani begs. The tapestries of the hall blur together as Alani rushes toward the healer's room and the exit to the arena floor. Her cheeks are wet and her eyes are streaming.

Alani bursts through the healer's room. Gregor startles. He reaches for her, concerned, but Alani pushes him aside and grabs for the door handle.

"Alani—"

"No!" Alani screams. "I can't lose her." She scrabbles at the handle, but it won't budge.

Gregor pulls her hand away. Alani tries to fight back, but he keeps her fingers firmly clenched in his as he twists the handle.

"Here," he says gently, but Alani's already out the door.

She sprints down the hallway and takes the spiral stair two at a time. The trap door is still open. A splinter sticks itself in Alani's hand as she uses the trap door for leverage to push herself out into the arena. Voices still shout. It's only been a few minutes, but it feels like days have passed.

The arena is hot and sticky, the tan pebbles coated with blood.

Mira lies in the center of the arena floor, her eyes half-open, an arrow shaft buried in her chest.

The sight almost breaks Alani. Her feet feel leaden as she drags each one independently toward Mira.

Mira's hair is wild and splayed across her face. She looks surprised, but peaceful. Bones show against her thin face and the hint of dimples ghost her cheeks. Alani's never seen Mira smile, but she imagines it would be beautiful.

"Hey Mira," Alani whispers, "it's going to be okay." She kneels down beside Mira, her skirts matching the color of Mira's blood. Alani tries not to look at it as she brushes Mira's hair from her forehead.

The warden is waiting for Alani to give the signal, but she can't bring her finger to Mira's neck to check her pulse. She can't bear the thought of Mira being gone. Alani takes Mira's hand. It's cold to the touch.

The crowds' cheers turn angry. They want to know whether Mira is alive or dead. If Alani doesn't make her declaration soon, then the warden will get involved, and that will be the end of that. Mira will be taken from her, her body turned to ash.

A tear drips onto Mira's forehead. Alani brushes it away. She takes a deep breath, and moves a shaking finger to Mira's neck. She sets it just below Mira's jaw, and presses into her skin.

Mira's skin is warm with the heat of the sun, but there's an underlying chill that makes Alani eager to pull back her hand. But she keeps her finger pressed against Mira's lifeline.

Please, Alani begs the Goddess. Please don't be gone.

Alani watches Mira's half-closed blue eyes. They seem darker in the sun, hollower, as if the light that was behind them shines no more.

Something thumps beneath Alani's finger. A small sound escapes her lips. It thumps again. It's a heartbeat, but weak.

Alani falls perfectly still. She breathes shallowly, aware of every eye on her back.

"She's dead," Alani calls out, not yet ready to turn and face the warden. "There is no pulse."

Alani takes her trembling hand away from Mira's throat. She balls it into a fist and hides it in the folds of her skirt. Slowly, she stands, careful of where she places her feet.