The egg

Valerie POV:

Valerie POV:

A sliver of sunlight filtered through the space between the window and the curtain of my room as I woke up. I put my pillow up against the headboard and grabbed the book I was currently reading from the nightstand beside me. The book was high fantasy with some romance, and the last in a series that had become one of my favorites. Turning to the page I was on, I started to read with a smile on my face as I was immersed once more in the world the author had created. I wanted to be able to do that one day, and my dream was to be a published author in the future.

Some time later, I decided to go out for a morning walk while everyone woke up. I set the book back on the nightstand after memorizing the page I was on, and went silently out of bed as to not wake my sister, which wouldn't be a good thing considering she didn't like waking up early, and we would most likely end up arguing about something. I changed my pj pants for some sports leggings as to not get them dirty, and put a jacket and my tennis shoes on. I crept out of the room, trying not to make much noise, but not really achieving that because the floorboards were creaky. I went down the stairs with my hand on the railing, careful not to slip on the stairs like I had done several times before. Then I opened the door and left the house.

The beautiful sight of autumn greeted me. I walked through the forest, the dry leaves crinkling beneath my feet, while around me the trees boasted glorious shades of yellows, oranges, browns and reds. The wind whistled through the trees and leaves glided down slowly until they reached the floor. At my left was Lac Pemichangan, it's surface completely smooth, with hardly any ripples. As I walked I went back to what had been happening between me and Sarah, and what I could do about it. We had always been close, but when she got Firefly, her gelding, without nearly as much work as I had to put into being able to get Flicka, my own mare had driven a wedge between us. I wished we could solve it and go back to a normal relationship where we as close as always.

I had stopped paying attention to everything around me, lost in my thoughts when I tripped over something and was brought back to my senses. I picked myself up, brushing the dirt off my leggings and turning to look at what had made me trip. Whatever the object was, it was covered in leaves, so I brushed them off, revealing a bronze and blue surface. I had never seen something like it, and obviously curiosity won over, and I finished moving the leaves off it so I could see what it was properly.

When the object was completely uncovered I could see that it was an oblong shape, about the size of my head, and that the blue color I had seen before drew patterns that looked like veins on top of the brilliant bronze surface. It was completely smooth to the touch, but one of the things that surprised me was that I could feel a little heat coming from it. This just kept getting even more mysterious. The colors and shape could have suggested that it was a gemstone, but the heat still didn't make sense, and it would have been incredibly unusual for a gemstone to be that big. I lifted it off the ground, expecting it to be quite heavy, but I was surprised to find out that it was the opposite, and quite easy to pick up considering its size and the material it seemed to be made of.

Taking a look at the watch on my wrist I realized that I had spent more time here than I had intended, and that I should head back before it was breakfast time. I decided to take the object with me because I wanted to investigate it further. I walked back to the cottage and went in. I looked around to see if anyone could see me coming in, so that they wouldn't see the stone and wouldn't get suspicious. Thank goodness they were all in the kitchen, which was behind a wall so they couldn't see me. I went up to my room and I looked for a place to hide the object until I could come back and investigate it for myself. My eyes scanned the room until they landed on a drawer that nobody ever opened. If I put it there and I covered it with something nobody would notice it was there.

Once it was properly hidden I went downstairs for breakfast. I was hungry, but I wanted to get everything out of the way so I could get to work on figuring out what it was. I went into the kitchen and grabbed some pancakes from the plate on the counter.

"Where were you earlier?" Sarah asked me. It may have not seemed as if we weren't as close as we always were, but the second we were back home and at the stables, the competition was on!

"A walk through the forest. I was waiting for you to wake up."

"We're not early birds like you are. We actually sleep," she retorted.

"I do sleep. I get the eight hours I'm supposed to."

Sarah just rolled her eyes in response, and I just ate my pancakes quietly, ignoring my sister. When I was finished I set my plate and glass in the dishwasher and went upstairs to get ready.

I put on a long sleeved shirt, jeans, my UGG boots, and put my brown hair into a simple braid so it wouldn't get into my face. I closed the door and took out the object from its hiding place. The shape could suggest an egg, but that seemed too far fetched as animals didn't lay eggs like that. But just in case I decided to search types of eggs and gemstones up on the internet to try to discard those options.

Just as I clicked the search button, I heard a tapping noise coming from somewhere beside me. I looked at the object and saw it vibrating a little in its place. What could it be? I watched in awe as cracks started to appear. So it was an egg after all! A piece fell off, and I could see a sapphire colored eye staring right at me.

Hi guys, I hope you enjoy the rewrite. I want to thank @jaycee-knight, @frjohnson and @Beautifully-mixed for the huge help with the feedback. This is the rewritten version, so hopefully things are a lot better now. Some details might not add up yet, but that is because of editing. I won't update the whole rewritten version, as I only have a few chapters right now, but I do want to know people's opinions on the new version.

~Valerie.