13

A FEW days had gone by in Jade's life with no real developments. She had heard whispers from Anthony and Michael that Luna was going to finally ask her out, and she had heard that it was going to be a huge, extravagant event, but she wasn't so sure about the last bit. All she knew was that she was finally going to be with Luna Lovegood, and that was what mattered.

Professor Umbridge had decided to rename herself High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, which the girls made fun of in their dormitory constantly.

"Oh, I'm going to issue a decree banning the reading of Muggle books." Su would say, trying to pull Mandy's book from her hands.

"And I'm going to issue a decree banning Su from the Ravenclaw Tower." Mandy would laugh, shoving her off the bed.

Mandy had finally gotten the guts to ask Anthony out, and now they were together. They were also completely inseparable. If you turned a corner and saw Mandy, Anthony wasn't too far behind her. If you saw Anthony walking alone to a class, he was going to meet Mandy and walk her to the next class, no matter how far it was from his own.

It was adorable, in Jade's eyes anyway. She knew the boys hated that he had turned into a lovesick puppy. But, they were happy, and that was what mattered to Jade.

The day before a trip to Hogsmeade, Luna approached her in the Common Room, standing in front of the fire she had been staring intently at. Mandy and Terry sat in chairs next to her, staring up at Luna expectantly.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come to Honeydukes with me tomorrow. I wanted to buy you some sweets." Luna said, smiling at her.

"Of course! Yes, of course I will!" Jade exclaimed, her eyes lighting up as she looked up at the girl in front of her.

"There's also something else I have to do, you can come with me then if you want to."

Out of the corner of her eye, Jade saw Mandy wink at her. Terry stood up and walked over to Luna, and now the entire fire was blocked by bodies.

"What are you being so secretive about Luna? Huh?" Terry inquired, raising his eyebrows. "We're all friends here, you can tell us."

Luna's smile faltered a bit and she sat, cross legged, in front of the couch Jade was sprawled out on. She moved her platinum blonde hair from her face, putting the longest locks behind her ears, and motioned her hands towards herself, indicating that the three should move in closer.

"How do all of you feel about Professor Umbridge?" She whispered, nervously looking around the room as she finished her question.

"None of us like her, especially after how she treated Harry. She's a mean old toad." Mandy whispered back, looking at the other two, who nodded in agreement.

"Well, we're having a secret meeting in Hog's Head tomorrow. Harry wants to start a group to help us learn how to defend ourselves."

"That's actually brilliant." Terry replied, looking stunned. He turned towards Jade and grinned.

"I'll see all of you tomorrow then?" Luna asked, standing up.

"Of course." Mandy and Terry answered together, nodding their heads in agreement.

"And I'll see you at Honeydukes." Jade said, smiling.

Luna let out a small giggle and slowly walked, or drifted, Jade wasn't entirely sure, away from the group. All she knew was that she had a date tomorrow with Luna Lovegood.

In the morning, the friends assembled at the table in the Great Hall, with Michael burying his head in the Daily Prophet, Terry staring at Marietta every time she moved even an inch, and Anthony and Mandy being stuck together like glue. Jade sat, watching her friends and taking a large bite out of a blueberry muffin. Terry's eyes widened as he watched her do so, his bushy eyebrows raised.