Part 2

The next time FP Jones knocked on her door, Alice was prepared. True to his word, a few days later he had called ahead, complaining of boredom and insomnia on his day off. He must have asked Betty for her number or looked her up in the yellow pages because it was the first time they had spoken on the phone in decades.

On the outside, she was still a suburbanite wrapped in her athleisure wear. Alice donned her black leggings and long sleeve shirt, with a purple vest that tied it all together. She had a matching headband keeping her bangs out of her face, and the rest was carefully tied up in a tight ponytail. For a moment she considered strapping her ankle weights on, but she could just imagine FP's exasperated eye-roll. She didn't need to provide him with more ammunition against her. But goddamn it, she was comfortable.

He didn't need to know about her white snakeskin print sports bra, and she doubted that he would notice the snake charm bracelet wrapped around her wrist.

He still raised an eyebrow when he saw her. "I feel underdressed."

"How do you mean?"

"You look like you're about to go to a Zumba class. I look like a lumberjack," he waved to the blue flannel he wore.

"FP,I'm not going to tell you you look fine because you're clearly fishing for compliments."

"Damn, you caught me."

Alice would never have thought that FP Jones of all people would be her new walking partner a year ago, let alone six weeks ago. She couldn't quite pinpoint when things between them had shifted. When had they gone from thinly veiled threats to willingly spending time together? Was there a catalyst? Or was it a slow reaction spanning years, eroding the walls they had erected around their hearts?

This was all new. But at the same time, it wasn't. It was comfortable. It was as if no time had passed, and their lives hadn't veered away at the tracks those many years ago.

When they arrived at the trail by Sweetwater River, she walked alongsideFP in silence, listening to the water rush by and the birds sing.Normally she would worry about what would happen if they were to to be seen. She had always cared what other people thought of her, possibly more than she should. It was exhausting.

Today Alice embraced it. She allowed herself to be in the moment. She had been cooped up in her horrible house for much too long.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a yelp come from the man beside her. His feet flew from under him and his arms flailed a she tried to regain his balance. He reached for her arm to steady himself, and miraculously, he somehow managed to catch himself.

She couldn't help but laugh and he soon joined her, his hand still place in the crook of her elbow.

"Careful there," Alice warned belatedly and FP rolled his eyes.

"A bit late for that advice," he remarked.

FP let go of her and suddenly her arm felt cold.

They finished their walk and returned to her house. They stood facing one another on her doorstep. It was time for him to leave. Anything more than just a walk would be crossing into dangerous territory.

But Alice didn't want him to leave just yet.

"Have you eaten yet?" she offered quickly.

There was something that flickered in FP's eyes. Was that hope?

"Not yet," he admitted with a shrug. "What do you have in mind?"

She opened her door and ushered him in. "Let's see what I have, and we can cook something up."