6 | Ice Cold

After opening the door to the tavern he felt cold bite at his exposed cheeks, and then he felt a trembling body at his feet

After opening the door to the tavern he felt cold bite at his exposed cheeks, and then he felt a trembling body at his feet. A body that he almost tripped over on his way out.

Looking down, he immediately fell to his knees when he recognised who it was.

"Soo Yun!" He shook her and quickly recoiled his hand when he felt how icy her skin felt to touch. "Wake up, Soo!"

He gathered her in his arms and bought her inside. Ignoring the seething looks he got from the step-sisters, and the disapproving one their father sent his way, he quickly made his way upstairs to his room.

Settling her on the bed, he turned to the door and saw the sisters there, watching in glee at their little sister unconscious on the bed.

"Fetch the best doctor you can find!" He ordered the sisters and interrupted them when they looked like they would protest, "Soo Yun is close to death and you want to complain? Go, now!" His princely aura frightened the sisters, and they ran to do what he said.

He briefly wondered why the father hadn't followed him up the stairs, but then he saw Soo's ashen complexion and he forgot about that despicable man entirely.

He tucked the covers around her and rubbed her hands between his larger palms so he could share with her some of his warmth.

Half an hour later, the sisters came back with a doctor in tow and the stout man didn't even acknowledge the prince. Instead, he pushed past him and looked inappropriately down at Soo Yun.

Taehyung pulled him back and with a firm grip on his arm, he spat angrily at the sisters, "is this the best you could find? Do you care that little for your sister?"

"How dare you speak to us like that!" the oldest of the two snapped. "Your nothing more than a lowly commoner! And that girl isn't even our sister, she was just a girl who was dumped on our doorstep."

"Yeah!" the youngest one piped up and sneered at the prince who was now furious.

He flung the 'doctor' at the girls, causing them to fall backwards and he slammed the door on them, not caring if it injured them. It was what they deserved for treating Soo Yun like that.

Calming his breathing he locked the door and sat by her side, he took her hand in his once again and said, "Soo, I'll find you the best doctor money can buy and I'll make sure you get better. Stay strong for me, ok?"

He kissed her hand and then took his cloak from the wardrobe. Fastening it at the neck, he unlocked the door and made his way out of the tavern.

A short while later, he reentered the room and noticed her pallor was worse than before. Panicking, he went back to the door and called out, "hurry doctor!"

The clasp on the doctor's bag snapped shut, and he lifted it from the table.

"I've done the best I can. She isn't in any immediate danger. Just keep her warm and monitor her for now. You know where to find me if she becomes worse, or you need anything else." The doctor patted Taehyung on the shoulder. "Also Prince Taehyung, I won't tell anyone you're here."

"How did you know who I was?"

"Ah, I've been to the castle before." He chuckled and with one last wave he exited the room.

Can he be trusted?