Chapter 2

I dropped the blade in my shaking hands and focused on the pounding and ringing noises taking over my ears which I quickly covered, hoping the sounds would go away. I looked out of the corner of my eye to see a tall, slender figure. No... David... of all the fucking people. It had to be him.
His face displayed a look of sadness, almost disappointment compared to his usual sickening look of pure happiness and innocence. The sparkle had vanished from his eyes and instead, looked concerned and genuinely upset. My eyes began to fill with tears. No, no, no, what are you doing? This is what they meant when they said you could never do anything right! You're just a fuck up and nothing more. And now David knows that too now. He witnessed you fuck up. And he knows it's not a dream. He knew I was a fuck up but probably not to this extent.
I felt a warm hand rest gently upon my shoulder and I turned to see David bend down to pick me up which he succeeded at somehow. My eyes widened at the feeling of somebody wrapping themselves around me- it was such a strange and oddly comforting feeling as I sobbed into his signature camp shirt. I was confused. Why hadn't he hit me yet? Oh. He was probably making me wait long enough to believe he wasn't pissed off with me for being such a selfish brat- a trick they had used more times than I could count.

David's POV

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I carried the boy back to the councelor's cabin where I had come from before going outside. I had been awake finishing up some paperwork, just trivial things that myself and Gwen have to manage, when I had decided to take a break and get away (run away with us for the summer, lets go upstate) from it for a little while by taking a walk around the peaceful camp grounds. As far as I had been aware, every camper was safe, all sound asleep in their shared tents but I was wrong. I had just reached the docks when I saw an outline of small figure with wildly fluffy hair. I tried to call out to them but I don't think they heard me so I walked up to them meaning I got a closer look of who they were but I got more than that. I felt my heart drop as I watched the camper slide a blade up and down their arms, blood from each cut trickling gently down their arm. Then it hit me. It was Max. I watched him do it again in case I had been dreaming or I just hadn't seen it correctly but I had. I wished I hadn't. I wished he was back in his tent, cuddling with his bear, fast asleep. But he wasn't and I had to find out what was wrong.
"...Max?"
I think I startled him and he began to cry. That'd when I picked him up, cradling him the whole time in order to calm him as if he was no more than a month old.
I rested him down on the couch. He was shivering and so I wrapped a blanket around his shoulders- he was cold to the touch.
I knocked sadly on my co-councelor's door before opening it. "Gwen..." I looked straight at her. Her hair rested neatly below her shoulders as she looked up from the book she had been reading. It was around 3.00AM and I knew she hadn't slept yet either. I hadn't seen her like this many times but she seemed calm and peaceful apposed to her usual anxiety ridden self.
"What is it David?" she sighed and set her book down beside her and grabbed a hair tie from her wrist, using it to tie her hair back into a messy ponytail. She must have seen how serious I looked because she didn't tell me to um... go away or anything containing more explicit language.
"I'm sorry for distburing you but I, uh... I really, really need you right now. It's... It's Max."
She groaned. "What has that little shit done this time?" she complained as she heaved her body out of bed as if it was the hardest thing she had ever done. She looked annoyed as she rubbed her temples and reached for the medication sitting beside her.
"Gwen, please. It's... it's really serious, okay?"
Gwen looked worried and followed me out of her room, hesitantly, after swallowing one of the pills dry.

Max's POV
Oh great. Now Gwen had gotten involved. That meant that David really did think that this was serious. I don't know why. It's not like anyone would ever care enough to do anything. They haven't for the past 10 years of my life so why would they now?
I watched as David led Gwen out from her room and into where I sat, hunched over, on the couch with a blanket over my shoulders which were still shaking, possibly even more than before. David looked serious and Gwen looked as if she was trying hard to maintain a serious look too but she looked more worried and confused than anything.
"No." I say before David could open his mouth. I already knew what he wanted.
"Max... we just want to help you. P-please. Please show Gwen. We can help you. I promise." His serious look had faded as if he had given up on that. He looked more as if he were begging now.
I looked at his eyes. They were still sad but looked... genuine? Did he actually mean he could help me? Ha. I doubt it. But I'll show them. Give them a nice little teaser trailer into my life.

I rolled up my sleeves, revealing my scar and bruised covered arms. I really wanted to cry, mainly from embarrassment and a little because of the thought that someone might actually care for once in my fucking poor excuse for a life.
I sighed and glared up at Gwen who seemed to be staring at me, possibly hypnotised by the patterns decorating my arms. She looked startled as she put her crossed arms down to her sides, her mouth slightly agape. I guess David hadn't told her why he brought me there. I looked down at the floor, blinking constantly to prevent myself from crying.
Gwen looked down at my arms and slowly kneeled to my level, examining them. She looked sad as well.
I didn't understand why. Why be sad for me when I'd been the absolute fucking worst to both of them? I'm a horrible person. I suck.

Gwen's POV
I looked down at the small boy who say in front of me and felt a slight annoyance towards him. I folded my arms, expecting nothing David to begin "telling Max off" for some shitty thing he did. He'd just interrupted the only time I ever get alone so it had better be good.
I know I was annoyed but I was also worried- I had never seen David act so seriously in regards to a camper's actions. It seemed like David was begging him for something. To help him with... something?
And then Max rolled up the oversized sleeves to his hoodie, exposing his arms. They were littered with scars, some new, some old and bruises painted his sun kissed skin brilliant shades of blue, black and purple. Jesus, his arms were so skinny, practically just bones with a little meat left on them still. Oh my God. I mean... I felt like I had always known something had been off about him the entire time he had been at camp but he had never told or shown me until now. I blamed myself partially. I mean, I had experienced some of the shitty feelings he was obviously experiencing and I did study psychology, for fucks sake.
I bent down to his level, examining his arms more closely before commanding David to go and get the medical box in which were bandages and disinfectant wipes that I used to clean his arms.
I felt so bad for him. I never thought I would but I did.

"Max? Please. You can trust us, I swear on my life. Why do you do this to yourself?" I asked.
The room fell into a brief silence before Max began to chuckle slightly as if he knew better and more than we ever could which he obviously did but just didn't want to tell us. I couldn't blame him. It must have been a really sensitive subject for the kid. "Well, I-I mean... it's not all me, I guess...? I o-only put myself t-through what I deserve," he whispered, his eyes widening as he muttered the last three words.
"W-what do you mean, Max?"