Chapter Seven : You Found Me

A/N : I ship them sooo hard
Do you ?

Is this a dream?
If it is
Please don't wake me from this high
I've become comfortably numb
Until you opened up my eyes
To what it's like
When everything's right'

Kelly Clarkson, 'You Found Me'

It was late into the night by the time Achilles made it into Troy. He stood on the balcony outside Briseis' room, breathing heavily, and looking through the curtain that the wind had blown back from the doorway to where Briseis lay on her bed, on top of the silken sheets, her hair fanned out around her as she slept, her face peaceful.

For one short moment, Achilles considered turning back, but then the anger rose in his chest once more, and he knew that he had to find out why she had done that to him. She may look like an angel when she slept, but she had hurt him more than any human had ever done before, and he had to find out why.

Briseis must have fallen asleep for she suddenly woke up, aware that something was not right. She propped herself up on her elbows, looking around the room. The sun had set and her room was in darkness, but Briseis somehow knew she was not alone.

"Who's there?" she called out nervously, her eyes sweeping around the darkened room as she searched for movement.

"Paris? Is that you?" she called again, aware of how thin and reedy her voice was.

There was no answer, but Briseis saw a shape move by the balcony. An all too familiar shape, and one that was definitely not Paris'.

"Achilles?" she asked tentatively as he stepped through the doorway and into her room, approaching her with firm, deliberate steps. He did not speak but simply continued silently towards her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, trying to sound brave, for now he was closer, she could see his angry eyes, and his set jaw.

"What are you doing here?" she repeated again, trying to summon the courage she did not feel.

"I need to talk to you," he said, stopping by the bed.

Briseis stumbled to her feet quickly, considering calling for help.

"Then talk," she said flatly.

"Your cousin has challenged me to a duel," Achilles said in a flat, monotonous tone.

"Paris?" Briseis asked, almost shaking with fear.

"Do you want to know why he challenged me?" there was no emotion in his voice, and that was worse than any amount of anger.

Unable to speak, Briseis nodded.

"Not because I killed his brother. Because I raped you." Achilles spoke harshly, each word worse than a blow to Briseis.

He moved towards Briseis, and she took step after faltering step backwards, until she hit the wall. She flattened herself against it, terrified, but unable to move or scream out.

"I raped you," Achilles stressed each word. "Now why would he say that? Unless it was what you told him!" he roared, slamming his palm onto the wall beside Briseis head.

She flinched and closed her eyes, waiting for the blow that never came.

"I have never raped a woman in my life. I did not rape you. You went to my bed willingly. And yet you tell your dear little cousin that I raped you," Briseis flinched as each harsh word fell, cutting into her heart.

Her eyes suddenly flew open and they met the cold blue ones inches from her face. She was suddenly filled with an immense anger: at Achilles, at Paris, but most of all at herself.