Chapter 2 | Year 1

Hermione's POV

When I sat down at the Gryffindor table, I was overcome with excitement, but I also felt dread, as if I did not belong with these people. They all seemed so...

Sure of themselves?

I stopped worrying as I watched the other first years get sorted into their own houses. Finally, Draco was called up.

"Malfoy, Draco!"

Draco strutted up to the stool and sat down, his eye scanning the crowd. Then they landed on me, and stopped. He smiled, just as Professor McGonagall went to place the Sorting Hat on his head. But it didn't quite make it because, as soon as it skimmed the top of his head, it yelled, "Slytherin!"

A feeling washed over me immediately, though, I wasn't sure which. The only thing I could think of was sadness, but I'm sure it wasn't that.

Draco's face showed a flash of emotion before seeming to control it and smirked, something that I was getting used to seeing on his face. He stood up, looked at me one last time, before walking over to his new houses table, where other Slytherins shock his hand and congratulated him.

~*~

Draco's POV

After I joined my new house at my table, the sorting ceremony continued. First year after first year was called up an sorted into the four different houses. Potter got sorted into Gryffindor after   a whole two minutes on the stool. The Weasley that had been with him on the train also got sorted into Gryffindor, which wasn't that surprising, all the other Weasleys seemed to be in Gryffindor too.

I felt bad for Hermione, she had to deal with all those losers for the next seven years of school. Too bad she hadn't been sorted into Slytherin, then she could be with me.

When the sorting ceremony was concluded and the feast was finished, Dumbledore gave his end of the evening speech and sent us to bed.

After following the Prefects to the dungeons and into the Slytherin common room, I headed up to the boys dormitories, looking for a door with my name on it. When I found the door that read D. Malfoy, I opened the door and stepped into the room.

Inside there were five, black painted, four poster beds with green comforters, black sheets and pillows, and a small Slytherin throw pillow set on them. On the outside of the bed frames were green curtains that could be pulled down if needed and all the posts were engraved with little snakes and some even had initials of students that had once also lived here. Accompanying each bed was a desk and a cabinet of drawers.

At the bed to closest to my left, was Theodore Nott, already unpacking. On the second bed on my right, was Blaise Zabini, who was sitting on his bed reading, looking to have already finished his unpacking. I decided to take the bed closest to my right, between Blaise and the wall, leaving the other two for Crabbe and Goyle, who'd just entered the dorm.

After I had finally finished unpacking, I dressed in my night clothes and got ready for bed. Once I laid down in bed, I closed my eyes trying to get some sleep. As I drifted off, I couldn't help but wonder what Hermione would be doing right now.

~*~

Hermione's POV

After finishing Hogwarts, A History, I'd picked up from where Draco and I had left off, I closed the book and went to get ready for bed.

When dinner had finished the Prefects had taken us and shown us to Gryffindor tower, showing us into the common room, then to our dorm rooms.

I was in a room with a girl named Fay Dunbar, another named Parvati Patil, a quiet girl named Isha Greene and finally, a really sweet girl named Lavender Brown.

Our room was circular, with the bed frames against the wall making the ends of the beds all point towards the furnace in the middle of the room. The beds each had red comforters with golden sheets and pillowcases. Finally, on each bed there were pretty red curtains all along the frame of the posts.

On one side of the bed, was a small dresser or maybe a slightly large bed side table. On the other side, was a desk were some supplies already lay. At the foot of our beds, were our trunks.

Closing the curtains around me, I snuggled into the bed that I'd claimed as mine for the next seven years. It didn't take me long to fall asleep, and my last conscious thought was of Draco, and what he'd be doing.