Chapter 4 - "She's heard too much."

"Can I ask you something?" Mike's ears flickered, and he slowly nodded his head, staring up at her from the kitchen table. She had spent the night at his place, and was preparing breakfast for the both of them as Mike sat, blowing the air of cigarette around the condo and yawning occasionally, bare chested with only pyjama pants. That was when she noticed the long tattoo across his back, along with a scar towards his lower back. They had had sex a few times, and every time he had spoken the name of August, and although she was not exactly appreciative of that fact, she was merely annoyed, and not mad since they had only met a few times and there were no feelings between one another. However, she was curious, hence why she continued her question with, "Who is August?"

Mike felt his throat clench, and she immediately noticed his muscles become tense. His gaze turned away from Ella, who piled the bacon and the omelettes onto the plates, and turned off the stove. She grabbed a few glasses and juice from the fridge, and marched towards the table where Mike sat. He shrugged his shoulders when she raised an eyebrow and said, "Nobody you should worry about."

Ella chuckled, placing a plate in front of him before sitting across from him, and grabbing the foods she wanted. "Don't flatter yourself, I am not worried at all. Simply curious as to why her name is continuously called during sex."

After blowing the smoke from his lungs, Mike sighed and faced her, "A girl that I've been crushing on, for some time."

Ella stood for a moment, grabbing mugs and filling them with hot water, making some tea for the both of them and placing it in front of his plate. He had not yet grabbed some food, but she did not question it. When she returned to her seat, she asked, "You don't seem like a guy to be shy, why don't you talk to her?"

"I have," he chuckled, remembering all the fights he had with August, and the first time he met her. He also remembered what she had told him at the hospital, and instantly his heart clenched. Those were not images he wanted to see at the moment. "I guess she didn't like me enough not to leave."

"She left?" Mike nodded. "When's the last time you saw her?"

"Six years ago."

Ella blinked in surprise, "That was a long time ago. And you still have feelings for her?"

"I guess I do," he muttered, shrugging his shoulders. He did not want to have feelings for her, and he wished he could forget her entirely, but oddly enough, her features displayed themselves in his mind without his consent, and caused him to miss her. Even having sex with other girls always brought him back to her, as Ella had noticed.

She began biting her food, satisfied by its taste before continuing their conversation. "When's the last time you spoke to her?"

Mike cleared his throat, sensing this conversation heading towards a dark path that he did not exactly want to enter. However, speaking about it did lift weights off his shoulders, and blew the smoke from his lungs, smudging the small end of the cigarette against the side of his plate before leaving it on the side. He reached for another in his pocket, and lit the end, needing to feel a stronger buzz before being able to speak about this. It relaxed his nerves, and all the racing emotions that were hard to face when speaking about August.

In all honesty, he did miss her. However, the other side of him wished she would burn to death, drown in her own blood or raped until she fell unconscious and never woke up. It angered him how she decided to simply pack her belongings from the hospital, and leave. As if not even him had mattered to her. He wanted to grab her by her neck at times, and demand answers as to why she left, why she forced all of them into a gloom that they did not deserve. Hence why, the cigarettes controlled the hatred that also filled in his bones when thinking of August.