Part 9

"No! You idiot!" Jason yelled out, charging toward the man before the police force behind him drew their weapons as a warning. 

Delto scoffed, cleaning his pistol and putting it away, "Not like you never wanted to do the same thing. Don't be such a hypocrite."

Jason's breath was uneven and heavy. Lawrence had been his key to get to Debbie now he had to go through the boss himself. Not that it would be a problem although it still would risk the life of the young girl. Jason couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

"The little girl, you bastard if anything happens to her I'll burn your entire operation down," he growled, his hands now balled into fists. 

The paid officers behind the other man lowered their weapons, Delto scoffed, "No you won't." 

"You have no idea what I am capable of," he threatened.

Delto raised his eyebrow, looking at Jason in pure amusement. Oh of course he knew what the man was capable of. He simply wanted to have some fun while he could.

"I have the child at a warehouse. If you'd like to know more you'll do some things for me..."

There was little he could do at the moment. A dead man tied to a chair sat behind him while a row of police officers and their boss stood in front of him. Jason had been through worse before but he had nothing to lose then. If he wanted to keep Debbie safe he would surely need a plan and perhaps even some help. 

Jason nodded for the man to continue. 

"I always liked that helmet of yours, Red."

Of course. 

Jason was asked to take his helmet off. Not one of his proudest moments. Most possibly it was one of his more embarrassing moments. Jason truly had lowered himself to such a level. Yet all he could think of was the curly haired blonde that needed his help. She must have been beyond terrified. Crying, alone in an unknown place. Dark and cold. 

Which is why he did as he was told. Jason removed his helmet. His domino mask underneath which he was beyond grateful to have worn that night. Not that it would matter. They left him stripped and bruised to the very bone. Jason's face was unrecognisable when they left him beaten and bruised.

He couldn't fight back. If he did he just knew they would take it out on Debbie herself wherever it was she was being held. He was being taken advantage of. Maybe Damian had been right. 

As they kicked and punched, stripping him raw to his bones and shredding off the few layers of armor he wore. All Jason could think of was his girl. The beautiful blonde with her crazy curls which never stood in place. The way she laughed at any small thing. How she pouted and scolded him as though she weren't a child. 

Debbie. 

She was the reason. The very sole reason he let them go. 

Delto and his crooked cop friends. Jason let them walk away unharmed. He was sure he would be able to find the whereabouts of at least one of the man's own operations which would be an easy lead to Debbie herself. But Jason would need to be prepared before he could strike.

A dejavu feeling crept into his gut as he was left to bleed on the ground where the police force had left him. Abandoned once again in his life. Left for dead yet stronger now than before. 

Jason knew well that he would need help. He had been stripped of his armor and helmet. All because of the small blonde who he'd thought of as his own.

Never in a million years did he think he would return, asking for help. Jason went straight there after composing himself and hiding the boy from the warehouse. There he stood in the very cave he had grown up in. Where he had been born and had died as Robin, asking Bruce for assistance. 

He was able to catch Bruce right before he left on patrol. Of course it would anger Damian who was quickly sent up to his room after their night would be cancelled. Jason told him everything. From the gang to Lawrence having been killed, Jason told Bruce every single detail. He'd become desperate. Yet of course, as usual, it would inevitably result in a nasty argument. 

Bruce claimed that Jason had been reckless and naive. He had been foolish to bring in an innocent into his patrol life. It might have been innocent at first but it only escalated. Jason never should have become involved. 

"Says the man who's brought more kids under his wing than I can keep count of," Jason scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Jason-"

"Can it, old man," Jason sighed. 

Although he was right, Jason couldn't just abandon Debbie. He needed help and he needed it soon. Tim was out of the picture seeing as the teen was busy dealing with his own problems and Jason couldn't be bothered in asking Dick. His older brother couldn't find out that Jason had been in his city. Roy would have been his best bet but even the red head wouldn't be able to give him armor or weapons on such a short notice.

Jason found himself pleading for help as he stood eye to eye with his former mentor, "This is bigger than both of us. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for that little girl. Please, Bruce."

His eye's were harshly bruised, cuts and blood stained his cheeks as Jason stood in his tattered clothing, domino mask long forgotten. But even in his current state, Bruce didn't bother in even lending him a hand or offer to patch him up.

Jason sighed. He knew it was too much to ask from Batman himself. He shook his head and sighed in disappointment before turning to leave. He'd find a way to get Debbie back himself. He had no other choice.

"You'll need Bludhaven help whether you like it or not," he heard just as he was making his way out of the cave, "I suggest you speak to Dick. He's off patrol tonight."

By this time Jason had turned around. His eyebrows furrowed, the young man kept a careful eye on his mentor. Bruce sat at his computer now, not bothering to even turn around, "I can't get involved... but if some armor went missing I wouldn't notice." 

And that was all he needed to say. All the permission he needed. Jason was thankful for such a sliver of assistance. He couldn't believe it at first but was quick with his action that followed. He didn't want to intrude any further than intended. Jason grabbed a duffel bag and filled it with all the things he would need. New armor, gadgets and even an extra grappling hook. 

On his way out of the manor, the young man made sure to leave a note behind, thanking Bruce for his help. 

"I warned you she would be your weakness," Damian had startled him just as Jason was going out the front door.

Fixing the bag over his shoulder, Jason scratched at the scab forming on his cheek, "Maybe she's my strength ever think of that?"

And with that, he was off. Damian scoffed as he watched his brother leave the manor. Jason had been through worse surely but Damian couldn't help but wish the older man luck on his suicide mission.