Easter Bunny Lobsters

Sorry for publishing this again, but I decided that the last little bit needed to be in this chapter. Thank you so much for your patience and support!

The boy got an older ranger to come help with the paperwork. I just needed to give a little signature, but the whole process took longer than I expected.

"I'm going to get the papers from my office. You sit here with miss . . ." The ranger started, waiting for my name.

"Heather." I stated, looking up from a cut on my arm.

"Miss Heather. I'll be back in a few minutes." The ranger said, giving me a polite smile before climbing into his utility truck.

We watched him pull out of the crowded parking lot, another car snagging his spot a millisecond later.

We stood there awkwardly until the boy said something. "Um, would you like to sit?" He said, offering the large wooden bench I had just been sitting on.

"Sure." I said tersely.

My legs were sore from tumbling down the hill, so I eased myself down like a robot that needed an oil change. The boy followed me in a slightly less awkward manner.

"Um, are you alright? From the bear, I mean. You've got lots of cuts, but that bear was pretty scary." He said, gesturing towards the cuts and bruises on my hands and face.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Luckily I had my jacket on, it protected me pretty well." I lifted my arm and shook my loose sleeves. "As for the bear . . . I'll be ok. Just a little shocked right now. I'm lucky you were there."

He shrugged, looking down at his feet, which were drawing circles in the dirt. "It's the least I can do. It's my job to take care of Acadia and the visitors."

"You're not a park ranger, though." I stated.

He scowled at me. "Yes I am."

"No, you don't have a badge." I corrected, pointing at his shirt pocket.

"I do everything a park ranger does, and I even get paid for it." He said.

"I bet you're no more of a park ranger than I am." I said smugly.

"Really?" He asked sarcastically, sitting up straight.

"Yep. I did the junior ranger program when I was nine. I even got a sticker badge and an activity packet, more than you've got."

He rolled his eyes. "The girl who litters. A junior park ranger. Makes perfect sense."

"Hey! I thought you had forgiven me for that!" I folded my arms crossly.

"No, just because I rescued you from a bear doesn't mean I forgive you. I still have to clean your mess up." He folded his arms as well.

"You didn't rescue me, I could have gotten out of that myself." I said angrily.

Did he think I couldn't handle myself because I was a girl?

"Whatever." He said, avoiding my angry gaze.

"Hey, you can't talk to me like that!" I pouted.