[human Delta x reader (Vigilantes AU)] I Had to Go Save You: Part 1

This city was under serious attack. It's not that the police didn't try, but when you couldn't walk two blocks without fearing for your valuables and sometimes your life you kinda got the feeling things were almost beyond hope. Almost. The police were far out numbered, at least the ones who weren't on the crime lord's pay roll were. You had always just assumed this was the way things were and would always be, there was no hope for this city and would never be. Or was there?

You had always enjoyed old combat video games like: Mortal Kombat, Street fighter, even Killer Instinct was one of your favorites. You decided to see if you could learn some of the fighting styles used in the game and that led to an enduring life long love of martial arts and combat study. Granted it was just a hobby but in all the time you weren't devoting to your crappy excuse of a job you spent in one of the training seminars. This didn't go unnoticed and one night you were contacted by an anonymous man who only went by the alias The Director. He had said he had observed your skills and he was impressed, this excited and low key freaked you out a bit, how had he "observed your skills"? You got over this when he told you why he had contacted you. And nothing could have made you happier.

In the city there seemed to be shadows in the darkness, ones who went by state names and called themselves freelancers. They were a large group of vigilantes with remarkable fighting skills and a desire to see justice done. You were invited to join the Freelancers. Your answer was an enthusiastic yes, while you kept calm on the phone you were over the moon when he hung up.

Very soon after you were antiquated with the team, they all were just as amazing in person as you had imagined, a few were a little rough around the edges but none the less amazing in their own right. It took a few months for you to truly be considered one of them but you gained the trust of the team. In your time as part of their force you learned about the team behind the team. They also had code names but theirs were letters of the Greek alphabet. There was Gamma, Sigma, and Omega, the tacticians. Eta, Iota, and a young boy who took the code name Theta, three brilliant computer hackers. And lastly there was Delta, he didn't have the same skills as the other six. However in your mind you thought he would make an excellent tactician. He was logical but cunning and very intelligent. You did notice he often underestimated himself and wouldn't argue back if anyone put down his abilities, and that got to you. You were someone very upfront and dominant, you wouldn't take crap from anyone and the team knew that. So very simply they didn't give you crap unless you were admitting you screwed up, and all in all it led to a good team dynamic.

In the past month you had noticed weird behavior from Delta, particularly towards you. Also there were erratic outbreaks from Omega but you didn't give it much thought, he was renown for his mood swings. You began to pay closer attention to Delta's speaking pattern as he now seemed to find it increasingly hard to be sure of his answer when you were in the room. That got you thinking, was he scared of you? You were a top fighter in the group but you had never outright threatened him, that you could remember.

This week had been pretty slow, which was weird giving you and the rest of the team were hot on the trial of a crime syndicate. You noticed the lack of action had everyone itching to get some fist to face action. and upon thinking about it, you were on edge waiting for it too. At the time you were reclining in one of the really comfy bean bag chairs in the secret head quarters, an abandon building in the midst of backwater streets an vacant lots, and trying to calm the warrior side of your brain that was yelling at you to destroy something. You were pulled from your thoughts at prolonged shouting from the other room. South wasn't here so you weren't sure who was making such a scene. You discovered it was coming from the recreation room, it was Omega? He was full on yelling at Delta over something that was probably stupid and had no actually relevance. Everyone knew Omega blew smoke like this, but what you couldn't stand was that Delta was there passively taking it.