P R E L U D E

I NEVER MEANT for any of this to happen.

I never meant to get involved with the Avengers again.

I never meant to fall in love.

*F L A S H F O R W A R D*

"No."

The single word hits him like a bolt of lightning, electrifying his very core, as he stares into eyes of the deepest blue. There is no sight more precious to him in all of the Nine Realms, and a pang of regret shoots through him. If only it could be different. If only he could take it all back. If only they had more time.

Fingers grip him tightly, and he wishes for a moment that they could fuse together into one never to be separated again. It's a futile wish, one he knows is a waste of the precious time they have remaining, and he curses inwardly. A part of him rages. He would sacrifice the universe for her sake - for one more day, one more night, in her arms - but she would never forgive him, and so he must continue.

He stares down at the woman in his arms and relishes in the feel of her warm body pressed against his. This Goddess Divine, ruler of his heart, the woman whose love he could never deserve yet soaks up like the sweetest mead. A tear rolls down her cheek, and he lifts a shaking hand between them to cup her jaw. His thumb brushes across her skin, and she turns to press her lips into his palm.

"Please," her voice breaks as she begs him. "Don't."

Loki smiles, memorizing every inch of her. The curl of her dark hair framing her face perfectly. The scent of patchouli wafting towards him. The way her lips feel pressed against his skin.

Her voice.
Her touch.
Her love.

"It has to be this way, Anna," he whispers softly. He leans in to brush his lips against her forehead, holding her body close to his for what he was certain would the last time. "It has to be this way."