Chapter 5

There were eight of them now: Thomas, Minho, Newt, and Chuck from the Boys' school, and Brenda and her three friends. They had introduced themselves; the one with ebony skin was Harriet (when she introduced herself, Thomas's stomache dropped as he thought of Alby), red-head was Sonya, and blue eyes was Teresa. They camped overnight in the cave as Newt regained consciousness. He asked about the others, and Minho told him how Thomas had watched Alby die, and no one else made it out of the building. It took Newt a minute to process, but when he did, he looked as if the information inflicted more pain than his fall.

They waited until sunrise to come out of their cave, walking slowly. They cautiously started walking towards the school, checking all around them to make sure no one was watching them. When they got to the school, it looked deserted, but the kids were much smarter than that. They crept alongside the building and Thomas peeked through a window that led to the mess hall. The sight nearly made him throw up. There was a numerous amount of two things in that hall: blood and bodies. Strewn around the entire room, blood staining every square inch. Brenda peeked through the window and nearly sobbed, bringing a hand to her mouth and muffling a cry. Teresa had tears streaming down her face but made no sound. The eight of them sat for a few minutes, making sure there was no one else in sight. Thomas almost gave the all clear, when the door to the Mess Hall slammed open. The eight of them ducked, but the voices could still be heard,

"EIGHT STUDENTS?!" They heard Ratman scream.

"Yessir," replied a gruff voice, "four from the girls' school, and four from yours-"

"IT IS NOT MY SCHOOL." Ratman roared, "AND WE NEED TO FIND THEM. THEY WILL RUIN MY PLAN. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DIDN'T MISCOUNT-"

"Sir we counted the bodies ten times. There should've been a total of 100 students exactly. There are only 92 strewn around this hall, and, well, other places," Thomas heard a snicker that made him clench his fists, "But 92 are dead is what I'm saying. The others are out there, and they know what you wish to do."

Someone, Thomas assumed it was Ratman, growled.

"Well we shouldn't waste any time. Send search parties everywhere, especially to the eight students' families-"

"But sir, we don't know who the eight are we just know genders because we checked the fourth time we searched-"

"THEN FIGURE OUT WHO THEY ARE!" Ratman roared.

They heard footsteps and the sound of the mess hall doors opening then closing. Thomas carefully looked back through the window and saw the room was empty. Then, they heard the sound of the front doors opening. The eight of them quickly jumped through the windows and ducked as they heard a vehicle hum to life and speed off. Thomas closed the window and started pulling the drapes to the mess hall. Teresa got up and began to help him. At one point, Teresa's hand brushed against Thomas's. She quickly pulled her hand away and blushed, but Thomas still felt something lingering.

"His minion will be back soon with a few other people to figure out who they're missing." Minho stated. The eight of them silently thought of a plan as Teresa and Thomas finished with the drapes. As they did, one member of they group spoke.

"We need to burn them," Sonya stated, flatly, "they deserve a proper funeral, so we'll give it to them. Plus, it'll make sure Mr. Hanson can't figure out who we are and hurt our families."

"She's right," a grim-looking Newt agreed. Thomas realized he was standing off to the side, looking down. When he got closer he saw it was Winston, surprise and fear still etched on his dead face.

No one else said a word, so Sonya silently left the mess hall, and the others followed her. She took them to the kitchen where they each picked up a jug of kerosene and a lighter. They returned to the mess hall and started to douse the bodies, Thomas's vision becoming blurrier with every familiar face he passed. It took them a while, but they finally finished. They crawled out through the window, said a few words about their friends, and tossed their lighters into the hall. They watched as the fire caught and got higher and higher before turning and running towards the city, not even thinking about looking back.