shadam angst (before kerberos)

Shiro and Adam had been together for  about four years now. Shiro was prepared to be with him forever. In a few days time shiro had planned to propose to Adam and finally be on the road to their future together. However, that plan was put on hold when shiro was diagnosed with lymphoma. The Garrison was able to slow the process but, sadly, not completely cure it.

During the time he was going through radiation therapy, there for loosing his hair near his neck and back of his head. Him and Adam decided to shave most of it. Leaving his floof in the front and hair on the top. He got better after three months of therapy and was able to continue his work and prepare for the mission to Pluto's moon, Kerberos.

He would be leaving in two months on a three month voyage to the planet's moon. It only takes three months now because of the advancements in space technology these days.

Anyway, he and Adam have had many fights on this topic. They involve harsh words that were not meant, but said anyways and abrupt actions that caused weeks of heart ache and separation

Even though they were separated a couple times they still lobed each other. Until one fight closer to the mission's launch.

"Shiro please. Dont do this." Adam had been adamant about shiro staying while shiro had argued this many times.

"Adam, please. You have to understand that this may be the last time I can do this. Its my only chance" shiro, even though arguing, felt guilty for making Adam feel so sad.

Adam hated playing this card but it had won arguments before, so he tried again. "Shiro if you love me you won't leave."

The look of guilt on shiro's face made his heart ache. " I do love you Adam. So very much, but this mission is important to me. I hope you can understand this." He looked down to his shoes hating the tears trying to push through. "I need  you to understand."

Adam was growing more and more furious that he wasn't dropping this like he usually did. Even thought he understood. Way more than he let on. He didn't want shiro to go to kerberos when he was ill. "I thought I was important to you." The petty comment slipped through his lips before he realized and he couldn't stop it. He immediately regretted saying this, but he did not let that show.

"Adam please. You are so very important to me. You just have to understand-"

"Save it" Adam made up his mind. As he was starting to take off his promise ring, he was given this when shiro told him he was going to propose but didn't want to die and hurt Adam even more. He promised to marry him one day but just not today.

"Adam what are you doing?" The tears were slipping through now. The sight In front of him to hard to look at with out crying.

"If youre going to leave, font expect me to be here when you return." At this point Adam was also crying. He threw the promise right to shiro and grabbed a bag. As he was packing his things he could hear shiro's pleas and begging. Trying to get him to stay and talk through this,but Adam had enough talking. He shut his bag and walked to the door.

"Adam please. Think about this. I love you, please don't do this." Shiro was on his knees begging and sobbing.

"Shiro im sorry, but you chose work over me and I dont want  to be a second choice in this relationship." These next few words caused more pain than any weapon could invoke. "Goodbye shiro"

He had left shiro at their front door sobbing into his hands screaming and begging for Adam to stay, but Adam was blocking it out. Trying hard to not  go running into his arms. When he got in the car shir had quieted. Out of curiosity he glanced back at shiro. He saw shiro laying on the floor in a ball, sobbing and quietly begging for this to be a nightmare. But alas this was real life and he couldn't just wake up and cuddle with his soon to be fiancé. Because Adam had left. And he wasn't coming back.

I'm sorry. I'm an asshole. I know. I cried writing this. But it had to be done. Not really but yea.
753 words