Durmstrang: Headcanons

1. Located well north of the Arctic circle in the fjords of Norwary, Durmstrang castle would probably be better described as a fortress. The school looks small from the outside, but is built into the surrounding mountain and is largely underground. Because of its remote location and sub-levels, the castle does not get much natural light, but a natural hot spring keeps its lower levels warm and livable year-round. The dormitories are located on the lowest level, then the dining hall and other living spaces, with the classrooms on the ground floor. The above-ground rooms are constantly frigid during winter months, but this is said to keep students alert during lessons.

2. The environments surrounding the school are treacherous. Perched on a jutting hillside overlooking a lake, steep footpaths and avalanches are the least of residents' worries. The local fauna is deadly: trolls live in the lake caves, lindworms live on the mountainsides, and a powerful nøkken lives in the icy recesses of the lake. Even though danger often befalls those who wander outside the walls of the school, most students brave the wilderness starting their first year in attendance, preferring it to the confined and spartan living space in the castle. Teachers encourage this even in the youngest students, but also flatly refuse to help those who are captured by magical creatures; "only the strong survive" is a common mantra.

3. Students attend the school for five years of study, usually beginning when they are thirteen or fourteen. Although it is rare, students may begin study at whatever age they are accepted to the Institute (the youngest student on record began at ten, the oldest at over twenty). After their second year at the school, they must choose a field to concentrate their study on. There are four options. The College of Healing is of the lowest prestige and teaches herbology, life magic, and healing. The College of Theory is next in the hierarchy, and teaches subjects focused on book-learning such as history, arithmancy, Latin, and the process of creating new spells. The College of Practice offers a curriculum that would be most familiar to Hogwarts students: charms, transfiguration, potions, alchemy, and defense. The most prestigious and exclusive option is the controversial College of Arcana, which teaches the dark, dangerous, and ancient arts.

4. It is the only school to offer classes in more than one language. Though it is located in Norway, it accepts students from all over the world. General classes are taught primarily in Russian or German, though some small classes may be taught in students' native languages if there is enough demand. Though students are encouraged to learn German or Russian, it is not academically required, and language barriers sometimes exist between students and faculty. Despite this, no one language has ever been elected as the standard, largely due to a centuries-long feud between the Theory professors (who favor Russian) and the Arcana professors (who favor German).

- Julia Joy via Tumblr

[Source: http://alltheladiesyouhate.tumblr.com/post/60433576056/five-durmstrang-headcanons-1-located-well-north ]