Rose

Nothing has been the same since we found Rose. I mean I didn't expect it to go back to the way it was because a lot has changed but I didn't think she would be this distant. Its almost as if she isn't my rose anymore, just someone wearing her skin. Maybe its me? I know I cant forgive myself for leaving her behind, it plays on my mind every night. The way it was my fault she got bitten, the way it was my fault I didn't protect her, the way it was me who killed her and the way it was me who left her behind. She doesn't talk to anyone much, she just does her own thing in the group. Goes hunting and doesn't tell us, does pretty much anything she wants because in her words "I cant die remember" . Yes I remember, you remind me everyday of what I made you become because of some of my blood. Something that shouldn't of happened at all, why is this all so messed up?

Wen pulled me out of my thoughts by handing me a bottle of water and sitting down next to me. We found a safe house, well Rose found a safe house while she was out on one of her trips. The place is protected already, turns out that the people that were here before us weren't very lucky and it wasn't the dead that were the thing that killed them. I suppose we are lucky that we have made it this far, let alone to be lucky enough to find a safe place to lay low. "Rose has gone again" wen sighed, no surprise there. "When is she ever here anymore, its like shes avoiding me." She couldn't even look me in the eyes anymore. "I don't know Melody, none of us know what shes going through, im just glad that she hasn't hurt anyone." Wen had a point, Rose is unpredictable we don't know what she could do so I guess we should be glad shes atleast helping us.

"what are we doing Wen? I feel like we have no purpose. I just wanted to find my parents, I did that. Now I just feel like we are going nowhere fast." I sighed, I feel useless. Wen pulled me in for a hug "We just have to survive Melody, that's all we can do. Im sure along the way we will find someone or something that will help end all this mess and life can go on like normal." I pulled away "But nothing will ever be normal!" I shouted "im so sick and tired of seeing so many sad people, whats the point of living if there is no proper life to live?" I hugged Wen, she rubbed my back, "All we can do is hope Melody, I know its not easy but we cant give up. We have come so far and you have Frankie now to look after so you don't have a choice but to suck it up and get on with it." I laughed, she was right. Wen is always right, I don't know what I would do without her. "come on, lets get you inside and heat up some food huh?" Wen led me inside the house and over the kitchen where I sat myself down at the table and smiled as she went to one of the bags on the counter and showed me a can of soup.

Alisa and Frankie came walking into the kitchen area laughing about with one another and it made me smile knowing that atleast he was happy here. He walked over to Wen and gave her a kiss on the cheek and then started helping her make food. Alisa sat her self down next to me and smiled "Are you okay?" knowing full well she had heard my little melt down outside, I nodded because it was true. Whether I liked it or not I had to be okay for everyone. "Did Rose mention where she was going?" I asked but by the look on their faces they all knew just as much as I did. This is the norm, we all sit down as a family and Rose is like the rebellious teenager. Im going to have to talk to her when she gets back, im fed up of having this split in trust.

I sigh but thank Wen for the food as she places a bowl of something warm in front of me, im not picky anymore if you can eat it then im happy with it. I sit back in silence just watching everyone smile and laugh around me, its like the perfect picture and im not in it. Before I could get to far into my thoughts I saw Rose walk past the room from the corner of my eye so I excused myself and followed her upstairs to her room. I stood in the doorway watching her pull stuff out of the backpack she had and mutter to herself about needing more stuff. I walked up behind her and embraced her in a hug from behind "Rose you need to relax, its all going to be okay" she relaxed and turned to face me, I looked into her slightly discoloured eyes. "For you maybe. Actually definitely, im not gunna let anything happen to you." I smiled "Why are you distancing yourself from us? Lets go get some food and we can all be together." I suggested hoping she would say yes. "I cant. Im not like you guys, im half dead for gods sake. How weird is that shit? Melody you cant honestly ask me to be normal about this whole situation we have going on." She walked over to the window and looked out of it. "Are you forgetting whose fault it is that made you the way you are? You don't think I feel bad about it every second? If your not normal im certainly not either." I walked over to her, getting her attention and pulled down the corner of my shirt. Showing her the scars on my neck and shoulder "I cant turn Rose, we are the same." She reached out and traced the scars of the bite marks I got all that time ago with her fingers. "You are my best friend Rose and I love you. I will never not need you in my life and it broke me when I thought you were dead. Ask Wen I didn't want to leave you. I was prepared to die there and then! We are bonded Rose" she wiped the tears from my cheeks before she pulled me into a hug. "im so sorry melody."

I cried, my best friend, my Rose. I finally got through to her. "Just promise me that you will stay with me, don't disappear again" i sniffled and looked up at her. She smiled and said "I promise".