Part Seventy-Seven - Bad Day

PART SEVENTY-SEVEN: BAD DAY

I don’t usually have bad days. Normally, I find something or someone to cheer myself up, even if something really terrible happens. However, when I woke up on the morning before the first game of the regular season, I was not in a good mood.

Running late was something that always annoyed me, and this was the case that morning. I woke up myself, without an alarm. I figured it was about to go off, so I sleepily grabbed my phone to turn it off before it started blaring. It took me a moment for my eyes to adjust, but when I looked at the screen I realized that it was way past time for the alarm to go off. I never slept through alarms, and neither did Patrick, so I knew that wasn’t what had happened. I had forgotten to turn the damn thing on.

“Shit!” I exclaimed, punching the mattress. I woke Patrick up, and he was highly confused and still very tired.

“What’s going on?” he wondered, yawning and stretching. He hadn’t even bothered to open his eyes.

“The alarm didn’t go off, Pat. We have to leave in fifteen minutes,” I explained. The day had barely even started and I already hated the world. I always showered in the morning and now I didn’t have time to. I began to strip out of my pajamas and I walked around the room in my underwear, searching for jeans and a Hawks crew neck to throw on.

“Fifteen minutes, you said?” Patrick asked. His eyes were open now and he was suddenly awake enough to get up. “We could get a lot done in fifteen minutes,” he smirked, wrapping his arms around me after I had located a decent pair of jeans.

“Are you really serious right now?” I asked, wishing he would let go so I could get dressed.

“Yeah, I’m serious,” he answered before he began to kiss my neck. His hands moved up from my waist to my chest and I pushed him away.

“I’m not in the mood for this. Please don’t touch me,” I warned, and he looked hurt.

“Okay, sorry. I just thought we could do something in the morning, for once.” I ignored him and put my clothes on, then brushed my teeth, washed my face, and brushed my hair. By the time I had grabbed a package of Pop Tarts, it was basically time to leave. Patrick drove us to the United Center and we didn’t talk much during the ride. He knew I was in a bad mood, and I guess he also knew better than to push me over the edge.

Practice was a little better since I was distracted with tasks to do, and anything hockey related usually made me happy. I did what I needed to do and even made smalltalk with the players, but as soon as Patrick and I got home, all I wanted was to take a shower, so I did. I felt replenished by the time I stepped out of the bathroom in comfortable yoga pants and a long sleeved shirt from VS Pink, my hair down and wet so it could air-dry. Things were looking up when I went into the kitchen to get some lunch and I saw that Patrick had just finished making macaroni and cheese.

“I made some food,” he smiled, setting a filled plate down at the table for me. “I thought it might make up for this morning.” Luckily for him, macaroni and cheese was one of my favorites. I still got excited about it like I always had when I was a kid.

“Thanks, babe,” I said. I kissed him on the cheek before joining him at the table to eat. It felt good to fill my stomach with multiple servings of the cheesy goodness, and I was ready to go when I was finished. I went into the living room and bent down to grab my laptop so I could work on a seating chart for the reception. That, and I still needed to order a few things.

“I love those yoga pants on you,” Patrick told me, being a typical guy.

“You’ve told me that before,” I smirked as I took a seat on the couch and got to work.