Part Two: Hammers in the Night - Chapter Nineteen

After taking care of everything that morning, and getting our newest cubs sorted out in the creche Anna and I went to our Office where we began the business of the day. I'd barely sat down when our secure phone rang. "Hello?"

"Mark, this is Vera, I have four Protectors who have been missing since last month. Would you happen to have any idea where they are?"

I thought for a moment and then recalled that we'd left before the plane had turned around and left. "I can't say for certain Vera," I told her honestly, "We turned to leave the airport as soon as our trailer was loaded and everybody was aboard."

There was a sigh on the other end of the phone. "That's what I was afraid of, the ones that I sent were among my best warriors, that's why I gave them that assignment."

"Then why are you worried?" I asked her, leaning back in my chair. "If they were your best, and most trusted Protectors why would they not return?"

"The bonds I have to them are weak right now, as if they are at a great distance, or are being kept in a comatose state." She said after a few moments of careful consideration.

"What you are telling me is that somebody could have replaced the Protectors that you sent with their own people?" I asked quietly while I nodded my head for Anna to join the call.

"That is one of my fears Mark, you could be at risk, those Hammers are ruthless, they will do anything and kill anyone to get what they want."

Both Anna and I gave a soft growl, "Vera we are both young, strong and capable of defending ourselves and our Pride."

There was a long pause on the other end before she replied, "I am aware of that Mark, but I just want you to be careful. I am afraid that you've gotten yourself tied up in my conflict with the Hammers now."

"Vera, I was involved the moment I was turned," I told her, "When Olaf and Shanna brought the Pride to Canada they put the Pride at odds with those that were left in Russia who were of the minds that their way was better." I finished with conviction.

Anna carried on my thought softly, "Vera I know this isn't easy but those that can't, or won't learn that the world has moved on from such antiquated ideas are going to find out that we aren't weak or lacking in conviction."

There was a slight pause on the other end of the line before Vera sighed, "I just don't want you and Ann a to underestimate the Hammers and what they are capable of, there are too many who have to their regret later when they find out just how ruthless the hammers can be."

I looked across at Anna and nodded, "We fully understand what they are capable of Vera, they have little regard for those that get in their way when they want something."

"Mark keep your sword close, you may need it." She said before telling us that she had some other things that she needed to take care of.

"That was interesting, and disturbing Mark," Anna said softly as soon as we hung up.

"Yes, it was Anna, I'll go talk to Yvegeny in Security and get him to upgrade our security to Condition 2 Yellow." I replied and I noticed a slight shiver from my mate since that meant that the security people would be more heavily armed than they were normally. That also meant that the hot spring, which we all used was more or less off limits since it was outside the main Pride House and its facilities.

"I hate locking this place down, but until we are sure that those... things aren't a threat to us you have to take precautions." She stated, "Sometimes they can almost achieve their aims just by being there and making us not live the way we'd prefer to live."