i.

CHAPTER ONE.
( DANGEROUS? )

EVEN BEFORE she nearly died, Violet Foley was having a horrible day.

It had started out with a bang. Her alarm clock didn't go off, her dog peed on her floor, and she missed the bus to school. The perfect morning to a perfect day.

Violet was nothing if not a cynic, and she assumed the the rest of her day would be as dreadful as it had started. She was right.

She had to sprint to school, ended up late, gotten an hour of detention for supposedly skipping class, and then she got cornered by her English teacher, Miss Kingston on her way to lunch. The interaction was unlike anything Violet had ever experienced.

"Miss Foley! If you can spare a moment, I'd quite like to have a chat with you in my office."

Then she was being ushered into the empty classroom. Miss Kingston pushed her glasses up and onto the top of her head, her auburn hair pulled into a neat bun. "Miss Foley, do you have any idea why I've called you in here?"

Violet shook her head, taking a seat in front of her desk. "No, Ma'am." She really had no idea. It could be the English comprehension test she took earlier in the week, and Miss Kingston could be telling her that she was completely incompetent, but that was something she already knew.

"You're here because you're dangerous, Ophelia Foley."

Wait. What?

"I'm... I'm what?" She asked, not comprehending what her English teacher just said to her. Dangerous? How in the world— dangerous? The only thing Violet could think of was that maybe Miss Kingston couldn't read whatever she had written on her homework from the night before. That she could blame on her dyslexia and the fact that her mother wasn't home to read over her work like usual. Maybe her inability to successfully read the English language was a danger to society.

"Don't play stupid, Ophelia Foley." Miss Kingston muttered, turning to the black board and pacing, "You could sabotage the General's mission."

Violet tentatively raised her hand, though it was just the two of them. "Uh— Miss Kingston? You're not really making any sense. Who's the General?"

Miss Kingston turned sharply, and Violet gasped. Her eyes that used to be a welcoming green were now completely black— the whites of her eyes and all. It was like her teacher was aging years into the future. Her skin changed from that of a twenty-five year-old to one of a older woman who had been around for quite some time. Her skin sagged, her forehead creased, and her hair streaked with white. One of her legs turned into one that resembled a reptile, and the other a metallic bronze.

Violet scrambled out of her chair and took a few steps back, still not quite sure what she was witnessing. "What's going on?" She asked, before mentally hitting herself. What's going on? Idiot. She berated herself.

"Going by a middle name will not be enough to save you, Ophelia Foley." Miss Kingston growled, literally growled. "The General wants you dead, and so you shall be dead."

Hold up... Violet thought, gulping. "Who is the General, and why does he want me dead? I'm only thirteen, and I don't even know anyone from the military!" She hoped that Miss Kingston had the wrong person, but from the way she was using her full name and glaring at her as if she had killed her puppy, she doubted it.