one

“You done?” is what Louis says upon busting through the door to the IT lab. He still has his headphones in, blasting The Velvet Underground and causing him to speak much louder than he normally would, which is still pretty loud. Granted, it’s no surprise Zayn practically jumps out of his skin at Louis’ abrupt entrance. You could argue that Zayn should be accustomed to Louis’ boisterous spontaneity, but it’s seven in the morning in the school’s least popular and most quiet IT lab, and Zayn was kind of reading porn so naturally he was extra jittery.

            “Fucking hell, Louis!” Zayn yelps, fingers fumbling to close the window. Louis leans against the doorframe with his arms crossed as he watches Zayn go back to Photoshop, where on the screen is a project which certainly isn’t The Rogue’s new EP cover.

            “Zayn,” Louis groans, closing his eyes. He woke up extra early today so he could check Zayn’s progress before class started, and this is not what he’d hoped to find.

            “What?” Zayn spits as he tinkers with the image in front of him. It’s some kind of grey led drawing which he’s adding colour to, and Louis would say it looks sick, but he’s pissed, so no.

            “What is this?” Louis presses, bounding up to the iMac Zayn’s sat in front of and gesturing to the screen.

            “My art project.” Zayn mumbles, keeping his eyes trained on his work as he darts the mouse around, fixing up as he goes.

            “The Rouge’s EP cover art has to be done by Thursday, and you’re wasting your time with this?” Louis asks in disbelief, like the self-absorbed bastard he is.

            “This is for school.” Zayn protests “And unlike you, I have my priorities straight.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?” Louis asks, furrowing his brow and poking Zayn lightly in the shoulder.

            “It means that I don’t place all my future in some amateur high school band. It means that I actually care about the security of getting into a good uni course and having a stable career, rather than leaving everything up to chance.” Zayn explains bitterly, rolling his eyes. Leave it up to Zayn to mention uni courses and futures on only the second day back at school.

            “Don’t think I didn’t see that very naughty site, buddy.” Louis retorts tauntingly, a smug grin becoming known on his lips. “Porn in the IT lab,” he mutters to himself, chuckling “Dear, oh dear.”

            “Hey,” Zayn says, spinning back to face Louis “Shut up.” he says fondly. Louis only smiles.

            Next to the keyboard where Zayn’s fingers are tapping away, sits a sheet of lined paper, divided into two sides. One side’s titled ‘Art Project’ and is packed with ideas, doddles and short little notes which only make sense to Zayn. The other is called ‘That thing Louis wants you to do’ and is basically empty. At the top is the name of a font, and next to it, a ‘maybe?’, but other than that it seems Zayn is stripped for ideas.

            “So progress isn’t going well, I take it.” Louis tuts, shaking his head in disapproval. Louis, being into music and song writing, should know that you can’t rush art; but patience is never particularly easy for him.

            “Louis, I really think you should get someone else to do it. I mean, you asked for something ‘hardcore, but soft at the same time, so mediumcore’. What the fuck is mediumcore?” Zayn complains, looking at Louis for answers.