3. Stolen Treasure and Dignity

Playlist ♪ ~

"I think every girl's dream is to find a bad boy at the right time, when he wants to not be bad anymore."

Taylor Swift

Chapter Three

No way.

This couldn't be happening.

Where was it?

I know that I put it inside my backpack before leaving that place yesterday.

"Oh no." Emma whispered to herself, pressing the palms of her hands into her eyes.

It wasn't inside there. It was gone.

Amiah watched as her best friend began to continuously bang her forehead against the surface of the lab table.

She placed the large bag Emma had thrown down beside her leg on the floor in front of her and surveyed it. "What is it?"

"I can't find it!" Emma exclaimed, throwing her head back.

She had slowly began hyperventilating.

Clueless as to what she was referring to, the ebony girl mindlessly began skimming through the binders and folders packed meticulously in Emma's backpack.

In a fleeting moment of desperation, the blonde's hands snapped out and snatched back her bag.

She turned it upside down essentially emptying everything on the floor.

The clutter noise caught the attention of everyone in the room.

However, Emma proceeded to venture throughout the mess on the floor like a madwoman.

Amiah watched silently as she got onto both knees and searched.

Her hands flew to her mouth in surprise when a series of irregular breaths escaped Emma's mouth.

Emma clutched her chest and everyone in the room raced across to see what was taking place.

Mrs. Pearson found herself in the same position as Emma, her arms moving up and down her arms soothingly.

"Emma, darling, breathe." She instructed.

Everybody in the room was dumbfounded by this scene.

Amiah couldn't fathom what so important could be missing to put her friend in such a state.

During this Emma's vision was hazy and all that floated around in her head were queries.

There was no doubt she had put it back into her backpack.

Who could have taken it?

"I-It's not there." Emma cried softly.

Mrs. Pearson found herself frowning deeply.

"What? What isn't here?"

Her concern for her most diligent student was immense.

Frankly she felt panic seeping into her pores as the frighteningly pale girl in her arms trembled uncontrollably like a leaf in autumn.

Emma's thoughts were all over the place as she attempted to backtrack on her activities.

It had only been a day, after all.

Then it clicked in her mind.

Like a sudden light bulb illuminating.

One that was so bright and intense that it made her nauseous.