one

chapter one

"gone before the oceans washed ashore

'cause i'm not stopping till we're in the sea"

-

Cahira used to love the idea of going home. But now, having to go back home seemed like a chore. Filled with nothing but guilt, she was forced to face the families of everyone she had killed in the arena.

All Cahira wanted to do was go back to the sea. Growing up in District Four, she ended up being in one of the wealthier spots in Panem. She learned how to fish, and was able to swim since she was born.

But now, everything seems different. The smallest of sounds sets her off, and the constant flashbacks of her time in the arena haunt her mind.

Seated alone in her new home in her district's Victor's Village, she was just able to make out a hint of smoke coming from the chimney across her own house. It was nearing the end of December, which meant snowfall was heavy and the weather was colder than usual.

With her chair positioned next to her window, she leaned her forehead against the cool glass, the iciness of it calming her anxiety slightly.

She felt alone. The only victors from District Four that were alive was herself, Finnick Odair,
Mags Flanagan, and Annie Cresta. With Annie and Mags living together in the house the street, that left her living alone.

Finnick Odair was a complicated person. He had been her mentor for her own games, but after that, he hadn't spoken a single word to her. She thought they would have become closer afterwards, but she was mistaken.

Cahira Drewitt had been in the 68th Hunger Games, being reaped at the age of eighteen. It was her last year, and the capitol people tended to have less sympathy for the older tributes.

Her arena had been a gigantic island with water surrounding it. The trees were so high they almost covered the sun, creating shady areas for rest. With water and shade, she was already making use of her prior experience with the sea.

With her weapon being knives, she was able to drag her victims under the water and quickly kill them there, rather than in front of the cameras.

As she closed her eyes, she heard a faint ringing outside of her front door. With a sigh, she slowly lets herself get up from the chair, bones cracking from not having moved in a while.

As she walks through her living room to the front door, she hears the ringing again.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she mumbles to herself.

With a heavy hand on the cold doorknob, she opens it to see the last person she'd expect to see there. In a pair of grey sweatpants and a loose white sweater, Cahira was surprised to see Haymitch Abernathy standing in her doorway.

"May I come in?" He asked, his voice hoarse and scratchy. Cahira is sure this was the first time she's seen the man sober.

Without a verbal answer, all she does is open the door a little wider for him to enter and leads the way into the kitchen. Hearing the soft click of the front door closing, she turns around to face him, her arms resting on the white marble counter.

With her eyebrows raised expectantly, her facial expression is all Haymitch needs in order to know that she's asking him why he's there.

"I need your help" he says with his dark eyes staring into her own green ones.

"The girl from twelve, Katniss Everdeen, she started something. Most people say it was hope, but some of us say it was a-"

"A rebellion" Cahira states as she interrupts his sentence. "There's been rumors of something like that spreading. That she's the Mockingjay. It's dangerous Haymitch, what you're trying to accomplish"

Haymitch gulped before saying "That's why we need your help. President Snow is going to reap the next tributes from the previous victors, and we need you on our side. You're strong and powerful, and the capitol people simply adore you. We both know you won't let Annie or Mags go in either."

Cahira let her eyes slowly drift to the window behind the man infront of her, letting his words slowly sink into her head.

They both knew what he said was true. Cahira would never let either of the women go back into the games, and she was the only female tribute left from District 4.

Cahira looked back to Haymitch with a tired look on her face, her eyelids adorning a drooping look at the end.

"What do I have to do?"