Part 4

Professor Lopez was sitting at his chair, on his medical office. He had asked Catalina to go there instead of his office at the university. She was sitting before him, her face rather solemn. She had already opened the results of the exams and read it. She knew enough of Medicine to understand it.

“You’ve read it.” He observed.

“I couldn’t resist.”

He sighed and took the papers from her hands, putting on his glasses and reading it.

“Leukemia.” She said after a few minutes.

“Yes.”

Catalina looked away; she was not desperate or even sad. It was like she was trying to gather all the strength she had to face that situation. She had already accepted it; she was merely thinking of her options.

“We can start treatment right away.” The doctor said.

“Sooner the better,” she said, “But I also would like to ask for your discretion.”

“What do you mean?”

“I will have a break from the university. I’d be grateful if you don’t tell people why.”

He seemed surprised. “People will notice you are missing.”

“Notice, yes, but hardly miss me. I’m not exactly a social person. No one would actually care enough to go after me if I suddenly stop going to classes.”

The doctor didn’t reply. She was indeed a reserved girl.

“I will only tell about it to the ones who matter,” Catalina went on. “My family, closest relatives. My boyfriend, Ferdinand. My boss. Maybe a few friends. That’s all.”

“It’s your choice. But why, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“No sympathy. No pity. No drama.”

He nodded. “As you wish, my dear.”

Catalina left the place quietly, and started to walk home. She had already diagnosed herself even before the exams were ready. Now it was finally time to tell people about it. Her parents, first, of course. Then Ferdinand. Things were not going very well for them; there were many fights and the time they’d spend together was now reduced. But Catalina never doubted that they both loved each other very much. She had no doubt about his love, and she was sure he would be by her side no matter what, fight with her, stay with her.

It would not be easy, not at all, and Catalina knew that very well. The treatment was difficult; Ferdinand would need a lot of patience. But she promised herself she would try to control her moods, to make things easier for him.

“I’ll be alright,” she thought, “Nando is with me; he will stay with me. I’ll be alright.”