//Chapter 31//

“Do you think he will ever like me?” I questioned as I lay on my back with my arms under my head

“Who, Fuzzy?” Amaryllis asked distracted as she placed more clothes than she would  actually need inside her suitcase.

“No,” I rolled my eyes and poked the naked cat sleeping on the bed as far away from me as possible, “Your dad.”

“Probably not–“

“Thanks,” I responded sarcastically to her blunt reply.

“–but I am sure that my attal will learn to accept your presence without cringing away,” she finished and pointed at her overspilling clothes.

I huffed and got up frowning and sat on top of the suitcase so that Amaryllis would be able to close it. When she saw my expression, she laughed and kissed my nose.

“Are you sure taking me home with you to meet all the members of your family is a good idea?” I asked hoping I could find a way out of it.

“I'm positive. I know that you will charm every single one of my aunts and cousins as well as my great-grandfather. Even if you are white and clueless about why we are all gathering together,” she said confidently and I wished I could believe in an optimistic outcome to this.

“You are definitely not helping, it's like you thrive when you see me distressed. And for your information, a small heads-up would be greatly appreciated,” I retorted.

“We are celebrating Seollal, the Lunar New Year, but instead of heading back to Korea to do it at uncle Seok's house – my dad's younger brother, all of them are coming here to combine the New Year with some family holidays. It will be funny to see them adjust to life here in England, I'm like a hero among my cousins.”

“And am I really that important that I have to be there as well?” I wondered not wanting to admit that I was feeling a bit scared.

“When someone dies, his spirit stays on earth for many generations and are still considered part of the family, so it is important to honour them and perform the ancestral rites. Is it really that bad that I would like for you to witness one cherye?”  Amaryllis refused to meet my eyes and fiddled with her fingers.

My gaze softened and I placed my hand over her cheek.

“Not in the least. I feel honoured that you want me to come with you for something that is so valuable and meaningful for you. Thank you,” I leaned down and kissed her forehead as she nodded and stayed quiet.

We separated from each other not entirely helping my anxiety levels but I still had the whole road trip to her father's house to relax and get myself together so that I could face my girlfriend's entire family. I carried our suitcases to the car but made Amaryllis carry Fuzzy in his cage before we dropped him off at Daniel's because he was extremely displeased with the fact that he couldn't be free and was attacking anything that passed in front of the gaps of his restrictions.