Heart broke

A/n: a little break from the NSFW spree bc I know some of you are craving fluff and aren't comfortable with NSFW

Head canon: when his child comes home from school with a broken heart he's the one to go to for comfort. He uses his experience with love form dating you to rule out what love really is and really isn't.

You pulled up in the driveway after a day out with your sister who has just got engaged and needed help looking for a wedding dress. After a long day of looking a frills and vales, it was good to finally be home.

You unlocked the door and closed it behind you, it was silent in the house apart from sobbing from upstairs.

You instantly began to panic, identifying the crying as your daughter.

You dashed upstairs and crept toward the noise that was coming from... L's office?

"I-I can't believe he could do that! H-he said he loved me... and then he just kicks me to the curb..."

You instantly knew something had happened between her and her boyfriend.

You peaked inside to see (d/n) crying in her fathers arms.

The sight made your heart melt a little, you were so lucky to have such a supportive husband, and (d/n) having such a supportive father.

"D-did he ever love me? W-what did I do wrong?"

"You did nothing wrong sweetheart... it's all in him, he was the one that asked you out in the first place, he was the one that dumped you, he was the one that treated you badly, it's all his fault. Why didn't you tell us he was treating you like trash?" L said.

"I-I thought he loved me, I counted everything as mistakes and told myself he didn't mean it. All I want is to be as happy as you and mum... I guess that'll never happen..."

You felt to bad, but couldn't find it in yourself to step in and ruin the father-daughter moment just yet.

"You'll find someone one day, I know you will. They'll pop up when you least expect it. Do you think I planned on meeting your mother in a hotel, with a police task force, during the most dangerous case in the world? You just have to be patient and keep your eyes open. Your soulmate is alive right now looking for you, it's only a matter of time"

"B-but what if I never find him? What is everyone I date ends up a jerk?"

"You'll find him. Soulmates always find each other"

(D/n) wiped her eyes and leaned against her father, still sobbing in his arms.

"When did you realise you were in love with mum? What reactions do I have to look out for?" She asked.

"The moment I saw her... you'll know they're the one when you first see them, your heart will stop, you'll forget to speak for a moment, you'll do that awkward thing where you just stare at them for a second, there's a lot of emotions at once, that's what you'll feel. When you feel that, that's when you know they're the one" L explained.

"God I'm such an idiot I didn't feel that at all... I thought I liked him... I guess I was wrong... how have you even managed to stay in a relationship so long? I can't keep one for a year..."

"You learn to put up with everything they bring to the table when they appear. (D/n) you'll find someone, maybe tomorrow, maybe when you graduate, maybe in 10 years, he'll come. Don't waste time with people that don't care about you, I don't want to see you this upset again ok?"

"Ok... thanks dad..."

You wanted to melt. L always complained about kids but here he is protecting his own with his life. This dork is the man you married, you don't have a single regret doing so.

"And (y/n) I know you're there, you can stop watching us like it's a soap opera now..."

"Sorry. It's just so cute I couldn't help it" you giggled, walking into the room.

You sat down and (d/n) crawled over to you, slipping into your arms.

"I hate boys..." she sighed.

"Yeah they suck..."

"Excuse me?" L said.

"Except you honey" you replied.

"And don't you forget it"

You giggled and looked back down at your daughter who was now calming down and smiling.

"Want to go trash his place?" You said.

"Yes..." she replied.

"Go put some shoes on"

She scrambled up laughing and left to get some shoes.

"Please don't get arrested" L said.

"We won't, don't worry" you replied.

You pulled L into your arms and held him tightly.

"You're the best dad ever, she's going to come to your for everything that's bothering her you know?"

"I know, I've gotten used to dealing with two girls" he sighed.

"You love us"

"I do..."

"Alright, I've got a house to trash, see you in an hour or so" you said, kissing his cheek.

"Ok, I love you"

"I love you too"

"Don't get arrested"

"We won't!